Student debt question for fellow MAT's

fxcassell

I'm in the process of deciding between two schools (and possibly a third but I don't know funding yet). My parents really want me to attend one school that will probably be about $20k in loans when all is said and done, but the program I like the most would probably be another $10k more in loans. I know that $30k in loans is the maximum amount of debt I should be considering for my estimated post-graduate salary ($30,000 for a high school history/social studies teacher), but now I'm starting to have jitters about the state of the job market for teachers, especially in a field that is in such low demand like Social Studies. I'm terrified of the thought of graduating with no job prospects and debt. I've got no undergraduate debt but also no savings to pull from since I just finished my service as a Peace Corps volunteer.

I'm just interested in hearing what other MAT students feel about post-graduation job market and how much they are willing to take out in loans.

Hi there! I'm deciding between M.A.T programs as well and was in a predicament similar to yours until pretty recently.

I noticed from your signature that your schools are scattered all over the country-- are you trying to settle into a teaching job and stay there for awhile immediately after getting your M.A.T. and if so, is there a specific state you've got in mind? If this is the case, I'd be checking out reciprocity between the states in which you'll be attending school (and hence getting certified to teach in) and wherever you want to end up teaching to see if converting the certification you'll be getting will be a fairly easy process. There's a good chance this won't be an issue because most states are involved with the interstate reciprocity agreement, but I'd say it's worth checking out if you haven't already.

Also, at this point, I'd be asking myself if an extra $10K in loans is really worth it for the program that you like most. I'm assuming that your program is a year long, and to me, $10K seems like kind of a lot for that period of time unless your program of choice differs significantly from the one your parents prefer. I'm reeeaaalllly not looking forward to dealing with debt on a teacher's salary so I'm trying to keep my numbers as low as possible, especially given the probable state of the job market in the next few years. However, if the programs do differ significantly and you honestly believe that you'd get a markedly better education at your preferred school, then that's absolutely worth considering.

In the end, it looks like you're going to be making some sort of sacrifice, whether financially or in terms of personal preference. Either way, I hope this was helpful-- best of luck with your decision! :-)