How to show temporary positions in the work history section of application?

Mikeden

Hi everyone,

When filling out my applications, I came across the work history section. Prior to having my current job (which I have worked in for close to 4 years), I worked in a number of relevant temporary positions (1-3 months at a time). I briefly touched on this in my personal statement, discussing that by working for different companies, I was able to figure out exactly what kind of work I want to do.

My question is, how do I note the short employment duration on the application? I don't want the graduate committee to think that I was fired or quit after only working for 1 month, so I have been writing notes that are similar to "please note this was a temporary position" in either the job responsibilities section or the job title. I have excellent reviews from my current job (if the graduate committee contacts my supervisor) and have a very strong LOR from a manager at my current job. Will these comments suffice or should I write something else (or nothing at all)?

Thank you in advance!

Maybe outline the dates during which you worked as a temp, and then specify that you were a temp for that time period. Instead of listing each individual position, that is. If you wanted to touch on the sorts of jobs you did as a temp, you can add that without listing the dates for each position.

Maybe outline the dates during which you worked as a temp, and then specify that you were a temp for that time period. Instead of listing each individual position, that is. If you wanted to touch on the sorts of jobs you did as a temp, you can add that without listing the dates for each position.

Thanks! That could work on one of my applications but for two of my other ones, I can't really list more than one position or date for each position (they are web-based applications and I need to enter something in for all fields and the formatting won't look correct if I have more than one position).

• 3 weeks later...

I'm interested in answers to this as well...I have this problem all the time since I do film/TV work, so I have a very extensive resume but all the jobs range from one day to one month, which also makes it uncomfortable when it comes to professional recommendations since I'm not too keen on giving the name of someone I worked with for a week, five months ago as a reference.