Drumroll please, the decision is...

inej

So rather than pile onto the 94 pages of the freakout topic, where have you decided to go? What was your offer? Why?

University of Hawaii at Manoa, MFA Sculpture

I have been offered a curatorial assistantship at the University Art Museum including tuition and a 13k stipend.

I have family on a nearby island, the faculty is a great fit and I currently work at a museum, so this is the perfect offer for me. I'm heading to Oahu!

So rather than pile onto the 94 pages of the freakout topic, where have you decided to go? What was your offer? Why?

UC Santa Barbara, MFA Studio Art (I think I applied for Photo, but I dont think anyone in the program really identifies as a certain discipline)

Full ride + ~27K (with no need to TA first year) + TA opportunity on day one.

The program seems to be flying under the radar, sure it isn't in the top 10, but who really complains about than they got into a UC with full ride and a boatload of money? The faculty is great, as is the location, facilities, sand, opportunity, or the program as a whole. It has less than 20 students that are very tight knit and seem to be producing really good work.

Edited by racuerex

No I still haven't received any funding info. However, after really thinking it over Davis was just the better fit, after talking with the grad director I felt they really cared about me and really wanted me there which is something I could hardly say about Rutgers. And if I went to Rutgers I would be going with two people I went to undergrad with, and I really didn't want to go to school with people I went to undergrad with, I want to start fresh. Plus I just couldn't see myself living in Jersey :lol:

vermillion, so you decided against Rutgers? Did you ever receive funding information?

Are you sure you are in the right forum? It seems you applied for structural engineering. We all here are hoping to get in an MFA program. I applied to Stanford MFA but still no word yet.

FINALLY got full tuition + stipend at Stanford. Took them long enough to figure it out!

Berkeley didn't offer jack; the state schools are fast running out of money.

@poorstudent, did you have to take the GRE to be able to apply to Stanford's MFA program?

Are you sure you are in the right forum? It seems you applied for structural engineering. We all here are hoping to get in an MFA program. I applied to Stanford MFA but still no word yet.

Yes, I had to write the GRE. It does not count in their evaluation but it is a university wide requirement. Stanford is the only school which asks for it for its MFA program though it is also mandatory if you are applying to PhD programs like the PhD in Media, Art and Technology at UC Santa Barbara. It was stressful to write it because I work full time and study full time so I had no time to prepare for the exam. I did not do any sample test offered on the GRE website and the first time I read the instructions how to do the exam was actually during the exam so it took me more than four hours to complete because I had to carefully read all the instructions as I had no prior experience with the test. I also had to lie at my workplace that I had a dental appointment that morning because I could not possibly tell them I was planning to leave. So it was really stressful. I still did ok on the exam, 510 on verbal and 730 on quantitative. I am planning to redo it during the summer after really preparing for it because I think it worth doing it especially if I change my mind next year and apply for a PhD program.

On 4/16/2011 at 2:48 PM, Payne said:

@poorstudent, did you have to take the GRE to be able to apply to Stanford's MFA program?

How much does the exam cost? I really wanted to apply to Stanford but was a bit annoyed by the GRE requirement (as it's the only school I know that requires this for an MFA studio program). I'm not worried about the test, it's just the additional cost.

On 4/16/2011 at 3:45 PM, poorstudent said:

Yes, I had to write the GRE. It does not count in their evaluation but it is a university wide requirement. Stanford is the only school which asks for it for its MFA program though it is also mandatory if you are applying to PhD programs like the PhD in Media, Art and Technology at UC Santa Barbara. It was stressful to write it because I work full time and study full time so I had no time to prepare for the exam. I did not do any sample test offered on the GRE website and the first time I read the instructions how to do the exam was actually during the exam so it took me more than four hours to complete because I had to carefully read all the instructions as I had no prior experience with the test. I also had to lie at my workplace that I had a dental appointment that morning because I could not possibly tell them I was planning to leave. So it was really stressful. I still did ok on the exam, 510 on verbal and 730 on quantitative. I am planning to redo it during the summer after really preparing for it because I think it worth doing it especially if I change my mind next year and apply for a PhD program.

If you take the exam (GRE General Test) in the US it cost $160. I am international so for me it was $190. The GRE is non negotiable but I was able at least to negotiate with the schools where I applied for not to ask me to write the TOEFL because my BFA is from an English language university and I also negotiated with them not to ask for a WES Credential Evaluation for my first degree in mathematics because I submitted both native language and English language transcript from my former alma mater. I saved a lot of money but you can't negotiate and get out from the GRE.

Also remember to sign up early for the GRE because a lot of people have to take it and seats fill up quickly. You can easily miss your application deadline because you can't secure a spot for yourself in the exam.

How much does the exam cost? I really wanted to apply to Stanford but was a bit annoyed by the GRE requirement (as it's the only school I know that requires this for an MFA studio program). I'm not worried about the test, it's just the additional cost.

Congrats to everyone. It must be a relief to have made the decision! I'm still trying to decide between SMFA/Tufts and Syracuse. I posted a topic thread on here but no one has responded. I'd appreciate any thoughts/opinions? I have to decide asap. :)

• 2 weeks later...

SUNY Purchase!

I'm very happy with this decision now - even though it was a hard one - and I have had to wade through swamps of confusion and conflicting desires in order to make it.

It seems to me after all these months of visits and research and reading all these posts, etc., that each program has so many things to like, and also its own share of things to be wary of...

No place will be perfect -- but I hope we all end up getting exactly what we need - though maybe not always exactly what we want - wherever we end up going to school.

May there be many blessings on everyone's path - bye bye!