Shut out

Hicks

Well, I ended up shut out of all my applications with the exception of Chicago's MAPH. But, the price that there is too high. Especially since I already have two masters. Anyone else end up shut out and what are your plans?

Guest Amon-Ra

I was also, and I'm hoping to spend the next year working and to reapply for fall 2012. I think things may still work out for the best, but it's a difficult situation to be in, and I do feel sorry for us both :-) What are your plans?

Hello!

I know how both of you feel. Two years ago, I applied to seven programs and was rejected by all. I fell apart for awhile, but I had a decision to make - work to improve my resume and beef up my apps or choose a different career path. I decided to do the former. It was hard work, and I went out on a limb many times. However, I landed some adjunct positions, which turned into more adjunct positions. I then decided to work on some individual research, participate in academic conferences, etc. I reapplied two years later (this season) and was more selective in the programs. I made sure I connected with the faculty members and discussed what they were looking for in applicants, etc. I was a bit worried, because my schedule didn't allow me to apply to as many schools as I wanted to, but I was accepted with great funding and will be working with fantastic scholars.

Keep you head up! I was there, and I know it's hard. However, there's always next year!

My regards and best wishes.

Well, I ended up shut out of all my applications with the exception of Chicago's MAPH.

I'm so sorry to hear that, Hicks! Your letter must have sounded pretty silly--"Even though we see that you already have 2 masters, we're CONVINCED THAT YOU NEED A THIRD FROM US."

...ummm...

=\

Don't worry, you're not alone! Just waiting on one school, but it is NOT looking good. Otherwise, rejection city for me. :angry:

When I hear stories of second-timers finally getting their way, it gives me hope!

Don't worry, you're not alone! Just waiting on one school, but it is NOT looking good. Otherwise, rejection city for me. :angry:

When I hear stories of second-timers finally getting their way, it gives me hope!

I applied to 10 programs last year...and was rejected from ALL of them. I applied to 9 schools this year (granted, more MAs this time) and got into 6. There is definitely hope, and the unsuccessful first round helped me really figure out where I could improve this go-round.

I was also, and I'm hoping to spend the next year working and to reapply for fall 2012. I think things may still work out for the best, but it's a difficult situation to be in, and I do feel sorry for us both :-) What are your plans?

Sorry for not getting back to this sooner. i honestly don't know what my plans are right now. There are also a lot of other things up in the air right now. I life has kind of gone all crazy over the last few weeks.

I applied to 10 programs last year...and was rejected from ALL of them. I applied to 9 schools this year (granted, more MAs this time) and got into 6. There is definitely hope, and the unsuccessful first round helped me really figure out where I could improve this go-round.

Any PhD's out of the six you got into this year? And if so do you mind if I ask which ones?