MPA program competitiveness

Hi all,

I'm hoping you all will give me some advice. I'm a recently returned RPCV (Dec 2010). While there, among other things, I:

· Participated in the redesign of the Peace Corps Lesotho Education Program

· Taught English literature and language, biology, and agriculture

· Collaborated with students, staff, 17 community members and a local tourist resort to write a successful $5,000 President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) grant to allow more students to attend school, improve food security in the area, and generate income

· Collaborated with the G.R.O. Foundation to create a tertiary education and career guide set to be published in 2011; each secondary and high school in Lesotho will have access to information about higher education

· Created guide for the design, set-up, and maintenance of small-scale photovoltaic systems

· Developed active technology training materials and involved 91 volunteers in developing strategies to examine and address information and communication issues in all 10 districts of Lesotho

· Designed and created a searchable, user-friendly database and training volunteers in its use

Before that, I got a B.A. in Bio and English with a minor in Classical Studies from Penn. (GPA 3.3)

I'm currently looking for a job in the non-profit sector, but am thinking about applying to an MPA program in a year or two focusing on non-profit managment and program analysis.

I'm trying to get a sense of how competitive a candidate I'd be. I was thinking about applying to UIB for the MPA or MSES/MPA dual degree, but with work experience would I have a shot at WWS, Maxwell or HKS?

Thanks.

Edited by Otter5001

I can't speak for HKS or WWS, but you have a great shot at Maxwell. You can do the 1 year accelerated MPA program there, but you might also want to look into their 2 year MPA/MA in International Relations dual degree program given your Peace Corps experience. There are also degrees out there at various institutions that cater specifically to RPCV that might be a good fit for you. Good luck!