University of Maryland scholarships/financial aid

MLibrary

Nope... I applied to the new HCIM program there, still in the School of Information, and got information about enrollment but nada about financial aid or assistantships, etc. There are a few school-specific scholarships that are coming up due, though - you might want to look into those if you haven't already.

Considering it's more than twice the price of the other program I was accepted to, it's looking as though I might have to rescind my acceptance, despite it being my ideal program.

• 2 weeks later...

Just found out the University of Maryland School of Library and Information Science has no assistantships or scholarships to give out. Apparently they are poor, which is the answer I received when I asked why.

Sounds about right. After I spoke to someone they seem REALLY disorganized; I was kind of surprised. I understand that everyone is underfunded but at least get your shit together. It pushed UIUC over the top for me and it looks like I'll be headed back there instead.

Sounds about right. After I spoke to someone they seem REALLY disorganized; I was kind of surprised. I understand that everyone is underfunded but at least get your shit together. It pushed UIUC over the top for me and it looks like I'll be headed back there instead.

Yeah, it's really frustrating. It seems that no one knows what is going on! I don't understand how there is no financial aid :( UMD is the only school I applied for because I really like their e-government concentration. I'm not sure what I will do now. Some part of me is still hoping I'll be able to get some sort of aid via ALA scholarships.

Good luckto you Laure and everyone wherever you decide to go! Hopefully UMD gets its act together! :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, it's really frustrating. It seems that no one knows what is going on! I don't understand how there is no financial aid :( UMD is the only school I applied for because I really like their e-government concentration. I'm not sure what I will do now. Some part of me is still hoping I'll be able to get some sort of aid via ALA scholarships.

Good luckto you Laure and everyone wherever you decide to go! Hopefully UMD gets its act together! :rolleyes:

I did my master's at Maryland. For graduate students who can't get funded from their department/school, there are graduate assistantships that are available in various offices on campus. They are posted here: https://jobs.umd.edu...Results_css.jsp and are updated pretty regularly when new opportunities become available.

They are competitive (though) and usually require you to work 20 hours/wk. In exchange, you are given 10 credits of tuition remission, a minimum stipend (I think it is now around 18K for a 12 month position. The 9.5 month position has a lower stipend but I can't remember what the minimum amount is), and healthcare. It is a great deal if you can find a position that really interests you. Check the fine print in the posting, but I think most are open to graduate students of any field. It is definitely worth the effort to apply to these positions if you know you are coming to Maryland. Good luck!

Edited by ZeChocMoose