University of Washington Jackson School (JSIS)

bblucy

Being interested in China and IR, the University of Washington's JSIS-China Studies program has always jumped out at me. However, I've been surprised/confused that no one on these boards seems to be talking about UW. I've done some searches on these boards, but have never come across more than a brief mention here and there, unless someone is talking about the Evans school.

Perhaps the Interdisciplinary Studies section is more appropriate for discussion of their programs but, being a full APSIA member, and all, I would have thought that they would be on more government-focused prospective-students' radars. I genuinely am curious to know what other people think about this program (China Studies or JSIS, in general).

Does it not seem "professional" enough/too "area studies"-focused? Is it the location? Is there something wrong with the school that I am totally missing out on? Good or bad or totally neutral, I'd love to hear others' opinions on UW...

Is anyone else out there applying to UW's Jackson School? Any thoughts on the program? Anyone?unsure.gif

Well, I'm not actually applying to the JSIS graduate program, but I am a current undergraduate in the general Asian Studies track with JSIS. Generally I've found it to be a great experience, and the program is very well connected in the Seattle community. To be honest, I've been most impressed with the SE Asian professors in the department, but the China Studies professors are also excellent and the Chinese language program at UW is not too shabby either. Either way, although UW generally tends to be a little overlooked nationally, its programs in Asian Studies/affairs are generally thought to be some of the best in the nation.

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you have about JSIS/UW/Seattle as well.

Well, I'm not actually applying to the JSIS graduate program, but I am a current undergraduate in the general Asian Studies track with JSIS. Generally I've found it to be a great experience, and the program is very well connected in the Seattle community. To be honest, I've been most impressed with the SE Asian professors in the department, but the China Studies professors are also excellent and the Chinese language program at UW is not too shabby either. Either way, although UW generally tends to be a little overlooked nationally, its programs in Asian Studies/affairs are generally thought to be some of the best in the nation.

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you have about JSIS/UW/Seattle as well.

Hi! Thanks for responding and I'm glad to hear you have enjoyed your experience there. In all my searching on facebook or anywhere apart from the department website, almost all of the information (news, journals, etc) seem to be about or from the undergraduate dept at JSIS and I really haven't been able to find anything on the graduate program (again, apart from the department website), which has made me wonder if the school is more focused on its undergraduates--do you sense this at all? Do you have any idea what the graduate students (or undergrads) are doing outside of/with the program (internships, post-grad work, etc)?

Also, something I'm curious about--does anyone know why the Jackson School at UW is a member of APSIA and not the Evans School (which has received a lot more attention/applicants from this forum)? Does Evans not have much of an international focus?

• 1 year later...

Hi! Thanks for responding and I'm glad to hear you have enjoyed your experience there. In all my searching on facebook or anywhere apart from the department website, almost all of the information (news, journals, etc) seem to be about or from the undergraduate dept at JSIS and I really haven't been able to find anything on the graduate program (again, apart from the department website), which has made me wonder if the school is more focused on its undergraduates--do you sense this at all? Do you have any idea what the graduate students (or undergrads) are doing outside of/with the program (internships, post-grad work, etc)?

Also, something I'm curious about--does anyone know why the Jackson School at UW is a member of APSIA and not the Evans School (which has received a lot more attention/applicants from this forum)? Does Evans not have much of an international focus?

The Evans school is a member of naspaa (public affairs and administration). I think more of their focus is on policy analysis and managment in general, but graduate students can specialize in various fields to include international development. Its ranked 13th by US News and seems to be fairly selective.

I plan on applying but thats about all I could tell ya. I'm glad you mentioned the Jackson school thought because I hadn't heard of that, but maybe now I'll apply there too.