Heinz SIPA GPPI

I need to decide between Columbia (MIA) - no funding, Heinz (MSPPM)-8k per semester and GPPI (10k/year). Columbia was my top choice because of the brand name and coursework, however the no funding and higher living expenses in NYC make me apprehensive. Their financial aid is focused towards second years, so I may get something then. I'm not so sure about the job opportunities at Heinz because of its location. Also, I'm not sure how much role its technology focus will play, since I don't have a technical background. I'm an international student from India so federal or non-profit jobs are not an option for me.

I'm not considering Duke, University of Washington for their location and NYU for their lack of funding.

Can somebody give me some perspective that will make my decision easier?hINE

I need to decide between Columbia (MIA) - no funding, Heinz (MSPPM)-8k per semester and GPPI (10k/year). Columbia was my top choice because of the brand name and coursework, however the no funding and higher living expenses in NYC make me apprehensive. Their financial aid is focused towards second years, so I may get something then. I'm not so sure about the job opportunities at Heinz because of its location. Also, I'm not sure how much role its technology focus will play, since I don't have a technical background. I'm an international student from India so federal or non-profit jobs are not an option for me.

I'm not considering Duke, University of Washington for their location and NYU for their lack of funding.

Can somebody give me some perspective that will make my decision easier?hINE

Don't be concerned about job opportunities at Heinz. Everyone I know who has put in some search effort has internship and job interviews lined up. Career services is great, there is a ton of on-campus recruiting, and a great reputation in the private sector on top of the public sector connections. There are people who stay in Pittsburgh, but many go to Chicago, LA, Boston, DC, NYC, Silicon Valley, etc. Also, if you have no technical or quantitative background, it is still very possible to succeed in your classes - the program will give you those skills.

That said, SIPA and GPPI are great schools, and I'm sure you'd get a great job after attending either of those programs as well. Is it possible for you to visit and check out the fit in person?

Thanks for the response. I won't be able to go and visit the universities, but I am trying to contact current students to understand the best fit. What kind of roles do MSPPM graduates get hired for? I saw a few IT companies on the placement list, do they hire for technical roles?

Don't be concerned about job opportunities at Heinz. Everyone I know who has put in some search effort has internship and job interviews lined up. Career services is great, there is a ton of on-campus recruiting, and a great reputation in the private sector on top of the public sector connections. There are people who stay in Pittsburgh, but many go to Chicago, LA, Boston, DC, NYC, Silicon Valley, etc. Also, if you have no technical or quantitative background, it is still very possible to succeed in your classes - the program will give you those skills.

That said, SIPA and GPPI are great schools, and I'm sure you'd get a great job after attending either of those programs as well. Is it possible for you to visit and check out the fit in person?

It really runs the full spectrum. I know a few people working in finance (PNC, Bank of America), some more in economic consulting, a few at IBM (in finance, strategy, risk, and gov't affairs I believe), a bunch in consulting positions. There are some who work in advising/analyst positions in state and local government organizations. Some people go into fundraising or research at nonprofits. Some go into government directly.

Thanks for the response. I won't be able to go and visit the universities, but I am trying to contact current students to understand the best fit. What kind of roles do MSPPM graduates get hired for? I saw a few IT companies on the placement list, do they hire for technical roles?

Thanks. I really appreciate your taking time to respond. What is the class intake for MSPPM and what is the percentage of international students?

It really runs the full spectrum. I know a few people working in finance (PNC, Bank of America), some more in economic consulting, a few at IBM (in finance, strategy, risk, and gov't affairs I believe), a bunch in consulting positions. There are some who work in advising/analyst positions in state and local government organizations. Some people go into fundraising or research at nonprofits. Some go into government directly.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi arguseyed,

I may not be able to directly help you out with answers to your specific questions..but just thought that I would introduce myself. I am also an international student from India and have been accepted for MPP Fall 2011 at Heinz, GPPI and JHU. I have already accepted the offer of admission at Heinz. I think Columbia vs. Heinz is an especially tough choice. My primary recommender and mentor was actually a Columbia SIPA graduate, but I chose not to apply there primarily because of funding and expense issues. As far as jobs are concerned, I believe it makes very little difference. The careers office at CMU / Heinz is quite sophisticated, dedicated and has vast resources for use by students. I have spoken with some consulting buddies of mine in NY and they have indicated that being outside of NY is not really a big deal as one is just as likely to end up in , say, Boston or Chicago for internship / final placement.

Hope this helps :)