NSSR Philosophy

carlphilo

i got in there last year for PhD and declined due to funding (a 50% tuition offer). After speaking with a few current students there, I learned that my remission was actually better than some (some get 0%). I couldn't have accepted unless I received 100% + a stipend. The place is a great place to due certain strands of thought. But it's funny that they specialize in, among other things, critical marxist theory, yet their funding only allows the landed gentry to attend.

What do you think of the philosophy program at the New School, and who got in for Fall 2011?

i got in there last year for PhD and declined due to funding (a 50% tuition offer). After speaking with a few current students there, I learned that my remission was actually better than some (some get 0%). I couldn't have accepted unless I received 100% + a stipend. The place is a great place to due certain strands of thought. But it's funny that they specialize in, among other things, critical marxist theory, yet their funding only allows the landed gentry to attend.

...well, but are you in a philo program at present? I mean, I am not stupid. I understand that debt is debt, but nowadays why do you care so much about money if you get into a school that suits you? I also got 50% and I'll take a loan. When I graduate I'll repay little by little. But I already have a job as a philo teacher, which will turn into a full-time upon graduation.

You said it's a great place. What if you get into a school that gives you 100% but then you hate faculty and students?

your comments strike me as rather jejune

One should not pay for his/her PhD in philosophy.

this is not law school.

An unfunded or partially funded MA is a risk, but I think it should stop there. If you wan't to take out loans for another 5 years on top of that, go for it dude. have fun standing in line at the soup kitchen.

bottom line: if your only PhD offer is unfunded, you are not doing something right

try again next year

from the sounds of it, you are either incredibly naive about money "why do you care so much about money if you get into a school that suits you"

OR, you are independently wealthy (and maybe also naive about money, and more importantly, life)

have fun

...well, but are you in a philo program at present? I mean, I am not stupid. I understand that debt is debt, but nowadays why do you care so much about money if you get into a school that suits you? I also got 50% and I'll take a loan. When I graduate I'll repay little by little. But I already have a job as a philo teacher, which will turn into a full-time upon graduation.

You said it's a great place. What if you get into a school that gives you 100% but then you hate faculty and students?

your comments strike me as rather jejune

One should not pay for his/her PhD in philosophy.

this is not law school.

An unfunded or partially funded MA is a risk, but I think it should stop there. If you wan't to take out loans for another 5 years on top of that, go for it dude. have fun standing in line at the soup kitchen.

bottom line: if your only PhD offer is unfunded, you are not doing something right

try again next year

from the sounds of it, you are either incredibly naive about money "why do you care so much about money if you get into a school that suits you"

OR, you are independently wealthy (and maybe also naive about money, and more importantly, life)

have fun

I thought I'd find respectful people on this forum, but evidently I was wrong. You accuse me of being naïve and tell me that my comments sound jejune, but you do not know me personally. Furthermore, you address me as “dude”, and you imply that I am juvenile?

My dear friend, first of all I am not “dude” but my name is Carl. And if you read my comment carefully, I said that at present I teach philosophy in a college, and that upon graduation I have been offered a full-time position. That’s why I cannot wait next year like you hoping to get into a fully funded program.

Perhaps you are the kid here who has time and money to waste. I am 40 years old, I have a wife and three children—three! I do not have time like you to sit around and wait until next year or the one after that. I have to get a piece of paper that allows me to turn my job as a teacher into a full-time job, and bring home some money. That is why I do not worry too much about money—because I am already broke. And unfortunately in this country, people like me who are not independently wealthy have no choice but to take a loan if they want a degree.

Next time you make a comment be considerate and don’t think everybody is like you at home with mommy making soup and making your bed.

" people like me who are not independently wealthy have no choice but to take a loan if they want a degree. "

no- most philosophy programs offer funding. the NSSR is a rip off and caters to the elite; if you are broke and have three children, taking out loans for the NSSR is a horrible option. If you are into Continental philosophy in the NYC area, Stony Brook and Fordham both offer competitive stipends and 100% tuition remission to their phd candiadtes.

Your full time teaching offer is contingent upon you getting into a PhD program? that sounds odd, considering it would be years before you receive a PhD.

Carl, something is not adding up here. But what I see is a person who thinks it wise to take out potentially massive amounts of loans to receive a PhD-- or at least thinks that he has "no choice" but take out loans, when, in fact, there are plenty of options to the contrary.

I thought I'd find respectful people on this forum, but evidently I was wrong. You accuse me of being naïve and tell me that my comments sound jejune, but you do not know me personally. Furthermore, you address me as “dude”, and you imply that I am juvenile?

My dear friend, first of all I am not “dude” but my name is Carl. And if you read my comment carefully, I said that at present I teach philosophy in a college, and that upon graduation I have been offered a full-time position. That’s why I cannot wait next year like you hoping to get into a fully funded program.

Perhaps you are the kid here who has time and money to waste. I am 40 years old, I have a wife and three children—three! I do not have time like you to sit around and wait until next year or the one after that. I have to get a piece of paper that allows me to turn my job as a teacher into a full-time job, and bring home some money. That is why I do not worry too much about money—because I am already broke. And unfortunately in this country, people like me who are not independently wealthy have no choice but to take a loan if they want a degree.

Next time you make a comment be considerate and don’t think everybody is like you at home with mommy making soup and making your bed.

" people like me who are not independently wealthy have no choice but to take a loan if they want a degree. "

no- most philosophy programs offer funding. the NSSR is a rip off and caters to the elite; if you are broke and have three children, taking out loans for the NSSR is a horrible option. If you are into Continental philosophy in the NYC area, Stony Brook and Fordham both offer competitive stipends and 100% tuition remission to their phd candiadtes.

Your full time teaching offer is contingent upon you getting into a PhD program? that sounds odd, considering it would be years before you receive a PhD.

Carl, something is not adding up here. But what I see is a person who thinks it wise to take out potentially massive amounts of loans to receive a PhD-- or at least thinks that he has "no choice" but take out loans, when, in fact, there are plenty of options to the contrary.

Once again, I am sorry to have to say this, you did not read carefully what I wrote. I applied to Fordham and was rejected. I spoke to the chairman who told me that with my GREs they will never offer me admission, and if they did I would get no$. My gres combined don't even add up to 1000! Stony, same as above.

With regard to my full time teaching, try to read this time and understand what I am saying. It is contingent upon me getting an MA.

I do not think take massive loan is wise. I have no choice. I have no time! NSSR is the only university, at the moment, that offered me admission. I am 40 now. What do you suggest? You think it is wise to reject the offer and try to get into a school next year or maybe the one after when I will be 42 or 43?

You probably are in your 20's and have time at hand. I do not. I have to get an MA asap so that I will be hired full time. Once I get my MA, then I'll think what to do about finding a funded PhD.

I hope it's clear now.

Once again, I am sorry to have to say this, you did not read carefully what I wrote. I applied to Fordham and was rejected. I spoke to the chairman who told me that with my GREs they will never offer me admission, and if they did I would get no$. My gres combined don't even add up to 1000! Stony, same as above.

With regard to my full time teaching, try to read this time and understand what I am saying. It is contingent upon me getting an MA.

I do not think take massive loan is wise. I have no choice. I have no time! NSSR is the only university, at the moment, that offered me admission. I am 40 now. What do you suggest? You think it is wise to reject the offer and try to get into a school next year or maybe the one after when I will be 42 or 43?

You probably are in your 20's and have time at hand. I do not. I have to get an MA asap so that I will be hired full time. Once I get my MA, then I'll think what to do about finding a funded PhD.

I hope it's clear now.

What the hell is there to talk about, here? Christ on the cross--didn't he say above that while an unfunded or partially funded masters might be a reasonable route (given whatever circumstances) it should stop there? That an unfunded PhD should be out of the question? And you're spouting off about... your masters program? You agree with him. End of discussion.

And I don't like the insinuation that, because someone is in their twenties and doesn't want to take out massive loans for a masters/doctorate, they're probably living at home eating their mother's soup. I know I wouldn't take an unfunded offer. I'm 24, have been working full-time to pay my own bills since I was 18, and have already racked up $36,000 in student loans. Given the job market, tripling my debt for an unfunded PhD is absolutely out of the question.

Look, if you have a job lined up and it's in your best interest to take the offer you've gotten, then great! Do it! But--when it comes to a PhD, at least--it's not too unreasonable to turn down unfunded offers. I've had many professors tell me that an acceptance w/o funding is for all intents and purposes a rejection letter.