Visiting a school for a Masters?

Is it normal for people to visit a school for a Masters program? They don't pay for you like for a Ph.D. visit, so it's a lot less convenient, but is it important to visit? The only visiting student information I can find is for prospective undergraduates...

I think it's pretty normal. I visited my school before I made my decision and now that I'm here, we have had some MA accepted students coming to visit. The school didn't pay for my visit, but I don't regret spending my money on it. What I did was contact the school saying that I wanted to visit the campus if possible before I could make any decision. They organized my schedule and set appointments with the DGS, some profs and some grad students. It was an intense visit, but it made my decision way easier to make.

Yes, I just visited all the schools who accepted me last week so I could meet with professors, administrators, and current students, as well as go to a few classes. I was able to do so at every school, even when one was on Spring Break. I even got some honest feedback from professors on the weaknesses and strengths of each program compared to the others I was accepted. Email all the people you are interested in meeting a week or two before your visit!

The accepted students weekends for all these schools is on the same day, so this will definitely help me make my decision.

I actually visited all of the schools that I was considering applying to back in August, before I even started filling out my applications. I emailed the social work department at each of the schools to see what kind of visit I could set up - ie. if I could meet with somebody in the department, get a campus tour (as opposed to signing up for an undergraduate campus tour, which wouldn't be of much help to me), go to an info session, etc. Some of the schools weren't much help, while others went out of their way to put together information packets for me (and they gave me free goodies! Who doesn't love free pens?!), set up personalized campus tours, set me up for a meeting with someone in the department, etc. It was extremely helpful to get to see the schools, and the departments, where I would potentially be spending the next few years of my life. Visiting the schools helped me eliminate a few from the running because they weren't what I was looking for, and I ended up changing my top-choice school based on the visit. You really can't get a feel for what the school/department/surrounding area is like unless you visit it in person. I would definitely try contacting the department to see what you can set up, since a visit to the school can really help to make your decision a lot easier!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, so it seems like I'm definitely going to Columbia for the Masters... unless one of my remaining (Ph.D.) offers miraculously turns out to be a yes.

Is it still worth going to the open house, since it doesn't really affect my decision? I'm having a hard time figuring out if it's worth it or not.

Appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

Hey guys, so it seems like I'm definitely going to Columbia for the Masters... unless one of my remaining (Ph.D.) offers miraculously turns out to be a yes.

Is it still worth going to the open house, since it doesn't really affect my decision? I'm having a hard time figuring out if it's worth it or not.

Appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

Hi profoundquiet,

I was in your shoes a month ago, I was set at going for master's at the university that accepted me. They had a visiting day that I decided not to attend, the open house is supposed to help you make up your mind. Seems like you already did so going there would be a waste of time/money... Plus open house would be more beneficial for PhDs since they will get a chance to meet face to face with their future 4-5 year "boss"