Courtauld vs Oxford

brownbear

14 members have voted

1. 1. Best for career prospects?

• Courtauld
    • Oxford

Hi, I've been accepted to Masters courses in History of Art at the Courtauld Institute and Oxford, and can't choose between them. The C clearly has the art-world reputation and contacts, but Oxford has a statistically higher rate of employability. I would love to get into an academic art historian position, but trying to be pragmatic as well. Less than half of doctoral graduates make it as a lecturer, so would I be better off with Oxford on my CV?

Thanks for any advice

PS I'm more interested in the course at the Courtauld, but not overwhelmingly. Oxford would be ok too.

Hi, I've been accepted to Masters courses in History of Art at the Courtauld Institute and Oxford, and can't choose between them. The C clearly has the art-world reputation and contacts, but Oxford has a statistically higher rate of employability. I would love to get into an academic art historian position, but trying to be pragmatic as well. Less than half of doctoral graduates make it as a lecturer, so would I be better off with Oxford on my CV?

Thanks for any advice

PS I'm more interested in the course at the Courtauld, but not overwhelmingly. Oxford would be ok too.

What's your specialization? I'm modern/contemporary with a non-"Western" region specific focus, and I would choose the Courtauld. I have the impression that it is much more progressive (read: liberal) and plugged into the art world.

Good luck & congrats!

Thanks for your response. I'm an early medievalist, and well suited for the Byzantium course at the Courtauld. The option at Oxford is later medieval/Gothic, which I could get into, but it would be wandering more into unknown territory. But although the C makes more sense, more progressive course, better connections in the art world... I still wonder if employers would show preference for an Oxford graduate, if grades and all other factors were equal.

Are you studying at the Courtauld at the moment?

Are you studying at the Courtauld at the moment?

I'm not, but I do know several people studying there in modern/contemporary. I was accepted to the MA but am enrolling in a US PhD program instead.

I'm also not English nor have worked in the arts in the UK. However, this is my American perspective. Oxford may get more heads turned because of the name, but those in the know know Courtauld...