How is NYU SCPS??

kerrazhou

Hi everyone:

I got the offer from NYU SCPS for MS integrated marketing study (2011 fall entry) one week ago.

My personal background is as follow: freshly graduated, no working experience (just one year internship), BA-Advertising, Chinese. While I plan to focus on marketing and branding, which is the reason I chose to apply this program even it is under SCPS.

According to my research on SCPS, I also have lots of doubts. (e.g. I heard that SCPS does advertisments in subways and it basically accepts anyone.)

As 90% of students who attend this program are young professionals, I start to worry whether this program is suitable for me or not.

Would like to get more advice on SCPS and this MS integrated marketing program.

Thank you for your time!

Hi everyone:

I got the offer from NYU SCPS for MS integrated marketing study (2011 fall entry) one week ago.

My personal background is as follow: freshly graduated, no working experience (just one year internship), BA-Advertising, Chinese. While I plan to focus on marketing and branding, which is the reason I chose to apply this program even it is under SCPS.

According to my research on SCPS, I also have lots of doubts. (e.g. I heard that SCPS does advertisments in subways and it basically accepts anyone.)

As 90% of students who attend this program are young professionals, I start to worry whether this program is suitable for me or not.

Would like to get more advice on SCPS and this MS integrated marketing program.

Thank you for your time!

Congratulations on your admissions. I also applied to and was accepted to NYU SCPS (for MS in Global Affairs) and am hesitant to accept the offer. While the program does have a fairly strong faculty, I have also read a lot of less than stellar reviews of the school. It seems that SCPS is the red-headed step child within NYU; it is heavily promoted but is focused on returning professionals and adult students seeking a degree. This is not as appealing a situation to me as the other two programs to which I was accepted. Futhermore, NYU's website is frustrating me. I tried to contact professors within the Global Affairs program before I applied, but despite several hours of searching, I could not find email addresses or even track down a standard email format for faculty. I also have not heard back from them on financial aid/funding, although I was informed the notices would go out Wednesday, and I am having a difficult time figuring out how to get this info from financial aid. I called them last week and was told I would be contacted already.

I can't speak for your particular situation, but NYU is probably #3 on my list of 3. (Other two are American SIS & Milano The New School).

• 1 year later...

I got accepted as well for masters in sports business. I have no work experience, will freshly graduate in June. My others admits are from university of Miami in sports administration and university of Tennessee for sports management. I'm yet to hear from GeorgeTown university, university of Michigan Ann-arbor, university of Indiana in Bloomington, and university of Florida. Do you suggest I wait for some of the other admits or go ahead with NYU??

Hey!

I recently got accepted to NYU-SCPS for a M.S in Global Affairs. I would love to go b/c of the location and the great opportunities. But my biggest concerns is finances and the rumors of a predominantly 'older' crowd. Unless I could go to another school for much less, I think I will go ahead to NYU. The proximity to the United Nations and other great organizations is nice and I heard good reviews too.  

yeah, that is my hesitation as well (the reputation of catering more to older students/adults). Got accepted there and plan on visiting before making a decision. Otherwise, can't beat NYC and the overall reputation of NYU, but the program/department itself is giving me pause.

• 2 years later...
  • 11 months later...

Follow your instincts, they are normally right. There are many problems in SPS. Many people say that it is not a NYU school, most want to go to. There are many problems at this school, and the employees behave recklessly unconcerned with the students. Most people run on the way out. Ive heard nightmares of what employees do to their students and I am completely dissatisfied with the way the school is ran. Ive heard many careers and lives have been disrupted and bullied by staff. If your a freshman out of high school and have no college experience, do not attend this school, it can be a dangerous place for young adults. The professors are great and the material taught is too, but the school employees are desperate, high risk, fraudulent and dangerous. I hope they make complete changes soon because, I dont think the school will be around for long. No positive energy, just alot of anger depression with staff.