Accepted at Columbia University...

anese

I should be happier than this...but now I am just confused...it's for the MA in American Studies program, which I have been told really isn't that great by a poster on this forum.

Yet, I will have to make a serious decision.

I was planning on attending NYU's American Studies Program in the Fall.

Assume funding offers are the same...any thoughts? :cry:

I wouldn't base my decision on just one person's input. Explore both programs. Talk to the professors and current students. Take a walk around the campus, the department's offices, and sit in on a class. Think about the money, the commute, where you would rather live, how helpful the advisors and office staff are (relatively speaking - this is the East Coast we're talking about). There are a lot of things to take into consideration, and one person's opinion should not rate very high on that list; you should go to the school you want to attend, not the school someone else likes.

I wouldn't base my decision on just one person's input. Explore both programs. Talk to the professors and current students. Take a walk around the campus, the department's offices, and sit in on a class. Think about the money, the commute, where you would rather live, how helpful the advisors and office staff are (relatively speaking - this is the East Coast we're talking about). There are a lot of things to take into consideration, and one person's opinion should not rate very high on that list; you should go to the school you want to attend, not the school someone else likes.

Thank you for your advice...I think I am just more upset than happy about this because I am working long hours and straightening out FinAid etc...

A professor who mentored me through this process and did her own degree work there has recommended the Columbia program over NYU, but has also offered to call her fellow professors in the department and ask their thoughts on opportunities to do research/publish etc...

In my Masters degree work I want the best opportunity to demonstrate my commitment and ability in a rigorous program--I guess on the surface it looks like a silly problem, as theoretically I should be able to do this anywhere and both are great institutions...

Somehow, I wish flipping a coin was a real option for this.