PhD reapplication

sreyas27

Hi,

I am already doing a PhD in my home country and came to a semi ivy university in the US on a short term fellowship which ends this June. I tried my luck at some "dream" grad programs , but received rejection from all schools. I am planning to reapply for Fall 2012. I am wondering whether to submit my PhD back home and apply to some program with different specialization or stick to my subject , gather some more research experience , (but not submit the PhD back home) and apply to the same programs (and some more) in US again . I will loose out on last 3 yrs. work , but I am okay with it.

Which one will be helpful for my admission ? I am bit confused and some help will be appreciated.

If I am not mistaken, you are very close in getting a PhD in your home country, correct? If you are so close, why do you want to start all over again? Am I missing something? As for your dream graduate programs, cant you apply to them as a post-doc? You'll get a higher salary and do not have to go through the PhD process all over again.

If I were you, I'd try to finish my PhD successfully and apply for some post-docs positions/ TT in your dream grad schools and other schools too. Make sure you cast a wider net;it's not just for you, i'd do that too.

Good luck :rolleyes:

Thanks for your response...I much appreciate it. To clarify myself further -

It is actually a long cherished desire of mine to do a PhD in the US .

I had to join PhD under some urgent circumstances in India , but now after coming here , I don't feel I've learnt much .

If I join a PhD here in the same subject, can I transfer credits (I have completed my coursework and comps) and reduce the duration of the program ? Do the top tier schools allow you to do that ?

In theory they do in practice they will ask why did you go there if you do not want their education? In short you will end up doing the coursework. If you are ok with that you can apply either way I guess, there is a person in my cohort who has a foreign PhD already in the same subject. (Do not ask me how how he tailored his SOP because I do not know. ) And yes he is doing the course work too- I guess if you want to get admission you really have to tell that US education can benefit you in a new way and be willing to restart your journey.

Edited by kalapocska

One of my PoI has two PhDs in different fields (one from rutgers, another one from UC Berkeley). His current research is a combo of those two different fields. Some programs do allow PhD holders to apply to their PhD program, some dont. So, I guess you can do either way: getting a PhD in your country and another one from the US or reapplying next year. If I were you, I'd check out the requirements of programs that I'd like to get into. If they allow PhD holders to apply to their program, I'd finish the first PhD and reapply for both graduate programs and post docs positions next year. Cant hurt to have more options, right? B)