Where to Apply: Merger of History and IR?

Last year, I applied to a slew of overly competative PhD programs in History that just didn't pan out (i.e all top 15 programs except one in US history, the most bloody competative track in History). At the last minute, I redid my application and applied to an MA in International and Global History at Columbia/London School of Economics, was waitlisted and eventually was told that I was just on the cusp of not getting in (it was a new program and they were unsure on how many to take) and that I should reapply next year.

I want to reapply in the Fall, but not focus so hard on a PhD in History. My primary interest is the intersection of history with international relations theory and application. After widening my scope, following my rejections, I determined that without an MA, it is fantastically difficult to convince a history professor that you are serious history student if you say you want to apply history to the modern day. I was told that I should first earn an MA to show my commitment and then reapply. Fine.

So, I am now trying to draw up a list of potential programs to which I should apply. I've already mentioned my interests - the intersection of history and IR. Right now, the best program I've seen that matches my interests is:

* MSc - Theory and History of International Relations at the London School of Economics http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/graduateProspectus2008/taughtProgrammes/MScTheoryAndHistoryOfInternationalRelations.htm

Another decent match is:

* M.A. - Global, International, & Comparative History ("MAGIC")

http://grad.georgetown.edu/pages/graduate_programs.cfm?dept_id=16&show=requirements

Do any of you policy people have any recommended programs or people I should talk to? The leader in this history subsect, in my opinion, is Ernest May at the KSG / Dept of History at Harvard.

Out of curiosity, what is it you want to do with a degree -- academics vs. a policy-related job? Or none of the above?

I'm not an IR person, but you seem to be on the right track trying to find information. It seems the best thing to do now is talk to as many people as you can who might be able to offer thoughtful advice about where to apply. Ask the people you know who else to talk to -- focus on gathering lists of names.

One other thing before I exhaust my usefulness on the subject: If you truly want to focus on history, a masters in IR or any other policy-related degree might be the boost you need to get into a history PhD program. But it could hurt you too... some academic types are snobby about these "new-fangled" (policy) degrees that are more professionally-focused than tranditionally academic.

I was in a bit of a pickle similar to yours, and it looks like we share overlapping interests...I went for an American Studies Masters program--depending upon the university they are pretty customizable. I'm going to be taking classes in history, political science, public policy and international affairs...something that I am incredibly excited about!

You also get the opportunity to work with professors from different departments within the school and diversify your recommendations. Depending on the program this can work in your favor in terms of research and exposure...also, I would try looking for a department that is very friendly towards helping you find an internship at a museum or private organization where you get the opportunity to either a.) demonstrate dedication b.) research some more! This was a big selling point for me--I know we can always find things on our own, but I admit to being won over by a bit more guidance in programs.

I know that NYU's program is very strong in history and urban affairs/public policy and political science...Columbia's has a stronger bent towards training applicants to enter into PhD programs in a variety of humanities disciplines, its main focus is not training you as a scholar in "American Studies".

I believe GWU's program is geared more towards history and policy in the public sector...in any case, they might be worth the look if you want a Masters in something outside of the general field of (but exciting mind you!) "History".

Out of curiosity, what is it you want to do with a degree -- academics vs. a policy-related job? Or none of the above?

Ideally, a little bit of both. Call it youthful optimism, but I'd like to both contribute something academic and something practically useful to the world. Some historians can do this by publishing for NGOs, advising policy makers (e.g. John Lewis Gaddis @ Yale who advised Reagan and Bush), and by serving on government committees from time-to-time (e.g. Ernest May @ Harvard who co-authored the 9/11 Report). Thusfar, it seems to me that policy makers have an easier time publishing historical works and finding teaching positions later in life than academia-based historians trying to find work in the policy arena. The number of policy makers who have published histories boggles the mind (e.g. Kissinger (Dept. of State / Harvard) and Kennan (Dept. of State / Princeton)) whereas the number of academics who work for the government seems miniscule. Ultimately, I think it will be easier to move from the policy world to the academic world than visa-versa, which is why I have expanded my scope to policy degrees.