GREs third time around?

searching4schools

Hi all,

I would like to know what would you guys do if you were me. That is, I took the GREs for the first time as a senior in college, coming back from studying abroad. I was sick while taking it, but I -stupidly- thought that maybe I was not going to do so badly. Needless to say, I got a very bad score V= 450, Q= 470 or something like that. I've decided to get a job after graduating and to take the test again. I did, and I did better V= 570, Q= 620 Writing = 5.5. However, even though this is an improvement I am still considering taking the exam again, only because judging from my practice exams, I can do much better (especially quant). So, I'm thinking -- should I take the exam for the third time? Would that look bad?

I would like to apply to graduate programs in Cognitive Development (Ph.D.). It would probably help you guys to know that my GPA is 3.8 (3.9 in psychology), I have research experience and I've presented my independent work at several conferences where I received good feedback. In addition, I believe I'll get great rec letters.

Thanks in advance for all your help and advice!

Every program I looked into (in Social Psych) required that you have at least a 600 in each section just to apply for the PhD program. I'm not sure if there are lower ranking programs that have less stringest requirements. But given that you want to go for the PhD, I'd recommend taking the GRE again.

It would probably only look bad if you didn't actually do better. For some programs, the GRE is used to weed out potential applicants from jump; for others, the complete application of all the factors you mentioned go together. So... whether a third attempt is a good idea is up to the requirements of each program and your impression of how much you can improve. I personally don't know anyone who has taken it more than twice, including myself, and I did not improve much the second time -- however, it didn't negatively impact my applications.

You should definitely take it again, but make sure you do improve them or it will look like they truly represent the best you can achieve (easier said than done, I know...).

Like beegee529 said, you should try to get about 600 in both sections to make sure you're not below potential cutting lines. I'm not too familiar with your field, but I assume it would require a good score on both V and Q sections.

Take your time to study before testing again - even if it's a pain to do all those practice books, they give you experience and enhance your cognitive skills. And try using wordlists for the V section - it works well for some people.

Some closing remarks: GRE scores are valid for 5 years and on the end of each test you are given the chance to forfeit it (no scores get reported nor recorded) in case you think you did poorly.

Good luck!

EDIT: a few words were missing

Thanks for the responses, guys.

I think I am going to take the test again, although I'm not looking forward to it. I actually took the practice CAT test on GRE bible last night, and I got 710 on Verbal and 700 on Quant. I really not surprised I did so well because that's what I've been getting on the practice tests all along - its just that when it came to the real thing....I don't know what happened.

Anyway, thanks again and I'll keep you posted on how I do.

Wish me luck!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to let you guys know that I've decided to take the test for the third time this past Saturday. I did good - 640 verbal, 740- quant. I'm happy with my scores as they are just as I've expected based on my practice exams. Right now, I'm just hoping that my previous scores are not taken under consideration during application. What do you guys think - are programs loooking at the last score, all scores or does it depend on the program? (I'm looking into Developmenta Psych. Ph.D. programs mostly). Thanks!