Waiting List

bellaflor77

I have applied to Ph.D. in Economics. I have received a letter from a school that says

"the committee was impressed with your application. You have been placed on the waiting list for Fall 2011.......We anticipate notifying you of our admission decision by the end of April"

What does this letter mean, so I understand they were impressed although I wasn't their first option? Why would they let me know this? To keep me waiting and not commit to other school?

I have two other schools I haven't heard anything about, should I ask them of my application status, what should I say in the letter?

This means you weren't their top choice, but you weren't a rejection either. It simply means that you are on the waitlist. They have extended offers to others and are waiting to hear back. Depending upon where you are on the waitlist, if a person declines you may receive an offer of acceptance.

How long ago were the deadlines for the other two programs? I am outside of your field, so I don't know what the deadlines are; however, I've heard that you can request an application status within six to eight weeks after the deadline (but, that's for English). If you do contact the DGS or GC you may want to frame the email or phone call around asking for a status update of your application and if the committees have met (not necessarily reviewed your application, but at least met). Also, do the programs you've applied to have websites where you can check the application status? If so, you might want to go there to ensure that all of your supporting materials were received.

I hope that you hear good news from the programs you applied to, especially your top choice!

This means you weren't their top choice, but you weren't a rejection either. It simply means that you are on the waitlist. They have extended offers to others and are waiting to hear back. Depending upon where you are on the waitlist, if a person declines you may receive an offer of acceptance.

How long ago were the deadlines for the other two programs? I am outside of your field, so I don't know what the deadlines are; however, I've heard that you can request an application status within six to eight weeks after the deadline (but, that's for English). If you do contact the DGS or GC you may want to frame the email or phone call around asking for a status update of your application and if the committees have met (not necessarily reviewed your application, but at least met). Also, do the programs you've applied to have websites where you can check the application status? If so, you might want to go there to ensure that all of your supporting materials were received.

I hope that you hear good news from the programs you applied to, especially your top choice!

The deadlines of the other programs were January 2, and January 15. They do have websites with my application, and all the supporting materials were received, but so far there has been no change in the status. I may need to send them an e-mail.