Post-bac or MS before PHD (Biomedical Sciences)

creolan

I've recently graduated with a BS in Biochemistry from a small women's college. I have some research experience from completing an undergraduate thesis in bioinformatics, and will most likely get my research published this summer (if not first author, second author publication). I am currently participating in a short term training fellowship in biomedical informatics at another local top-research university (may result in another publication). I have even worked in a hospital for the past year in a clinical unit (med/surg ICU) as a nursing assistant (not sure if it helps with biochem, but can't hurt).

I took a very heavy and demanding course load each 4 years (17-21 credits each semester, nearly every chem course offered, plus most upper-level bio courses, many unnecessary science electives), worked multiple jobs concurrently for 3 years, and volunteered/participated in student orgs every year. I have taken the GRE's and did relatively average, but do plan on repeating them once I have time to better prepare my self.

Here's my problem: I absolutely love science and want to pursue a career in biomedical research but my GPA (just shy of a 3.0) is not something I would be all too proud of. I'm afraid I may have spread my self too thin during undergrad, resulting in my low GPA.

My goal is to get my PHD in genetics, so I'm looking for advice on the possible routes I could take to achieving that. I've applied to post-bac research programs and research tech positions (still waiting to hear back). Would it be more beneficial to go the "tech" or post-bac route for a year or two then apply to doctoral programs?? Or should I try a MS program first?? Or repeat undergraduate courses for a better GPA?? Or any combination of the three??

Thanks in advance for your help! (Sorry for the long post!)

• 1 month later...

Finding a terminal MS program can be tough in the life sciences. I would look around for one (because it seems the problem would be low GPA, and by taking more schooling, you could show that you can do the work), though.

• 1 month later...

If it were me, I wouldn't waste money on a masters or post-bacc. I would apply straight to the phd programs. Certainly your research experience and intense course load are convincing reasons for why you received a B average (btw does anybody else feel that gpa is subjective and depends on the school not the student?). I would guess that your dedication to research will shine through and compensate for your gpa, particularly if your undergrad school has a good reputation or your research advisor did. If things don't work out, get a lab tech job at a university and take full advantage of the free tuition to show that you can handle graduate level courses.