Where should I volunteer?

jamient

Hi,

I'm a junior in college and am have decided I would like to be a social worker. What type of volunteer work should I do? I've currently been volunteering at Habitat for Humanity and as an Office Assistant for at risk youth organization. Also is volunteer work enough, or should I work for a year or two before applying?

Hi,

I'm a junior in college and am have decided I would like to be a social worker. What type of volunteer work should I do? I've currently been volunteering at Habitat for Humanity and as an Office Assistant for at risk youth organization. Also is volunteer work enough, or should I work for a year or two before applying?

How about a shelter for abused women with kids? Trust me, that will give you more of an idea of what nasty things lurk out there than anything else.

Hi,

I will echo the women's shelter idea. A lot of times they have people to come in to read with the kids. I worked with Habitat to help clean one out but never got much people interaction. If there are any Big Brother/Big Sister-like programs in your area, then you should look into them. If you are interested, there might be service groups at your college that have lots of one-time service opportunities that can turn into something long-term if you like.

Also - if you have the opportunity to be a resident assistant, you might look into that as well. You would be surprised what your peers go through and this could land you free housing as well. A sort of unrelated job but the two people I know who are currently in MSW programs were RAs.

I will echo the women's shelter idea. A lot of times they have people to come in to read with the kids. I worked with Habitat to help clean one out but never got much people interaction. If there are any Big Brother/Big Sister-like programs in your area, then you should look into them. If you are interested, there might be service groups at your college that have lots of one-time service opportunities that can turn into something long-term if you like.

Also - if you have the opportunity to be a resident assistant, you might look into that as well. You would be surprised what your peers go through and this could land you free housing as well. A sort of unrelated job but the two people I know who are currently in MSW programs were RAs.

I got a summer job working at a summer camp for kids in between my junior and senior year of school, kids had ADD/ADHD and other varying disorders. Had a good time, got some money, learned a bunch about kids/disorders and got a great recommendation for my application out of it. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

I got a summer job working at a summer camp for kids in between my junior and senior year of school, kids had ADD/ADHD and other varying disorders. Had a good time, got some money, learned a bunch about kids/disorders and got a great recommendation for my application out of it. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

I had to check that you were not one of my fellow classmates! He did the same thing and it worked out really well for him too. I can't believe I didn't remember this!

Find something that inspires you and pushes you. I have spent the last 8.5 years volunteering with my therapy dogs in the ICU. My experiences with my canine counter-parts inspired me to pursue an MSW. I am currently interning at an agency that serves low income families--really tough but I have grown professionally and personally. In my experience, if you are smart and motivated, they will give you really great hands on (but supervised) experience. Just start making calls, social workers want to help out their own! :)

Frankly- I'd strongly advise you to take a couple of years and get some work experience. Being in the field is much harder and you might change your mind later. Also- if you have couple of experience, it looks much better in your app.

Depending on your undergrad stats, evilpupil's idea might not be a bad one. There are direct service and case management positions you can usually get with a Bachelors, and I think having paid, full-time experience both looks great and lets you know whether social work is really what you want to do. AmeriCorps is also something worth looking into. You can get into an MSW program out of undergrad with just volunteer experience, though.

As for organizations, I agree with finding out what you're passionate about and volunteering in that area. If you're interested in child welfare and have a fair amount of time to devote, Court-Appointed Special Advocates for Children (CASA) is an organization worth checking into.

Edited by 2011 MSW Hopeful