Private Sector Jobs after Fletcher MALD

Dear All

I have got accepted into Fletcher MALD program with some scholarship. Fletcher was my first choice and I would be joining the program. I am a journalist with internationl experience and am considering to make a sort of career change. I am also open to jobs with UN and other international organisations though I know these jobs are highly competitive.

I would like to hear your views regarding career options after MA in IR or MALD in particular. When I was applying to this program I had a good idea which direction I would be heading to after graduation. However, a massive loan is giving me the jitters and am forced to think about working in private sector for a couple of years. I have no private sector/managerial experience and am not sure how much will this hurt me.

It would be really helpful if you could guide me what roles are offered to IR/MALD graduates in the private sector. What about Consulting..Is it doable.... I am also trying to get in touch with MALD graduates but its always great to have insight from others as well.

Thanks a lot

S

If the massive loan you're talking about is a federal student loan (Stafford or PLUS), you might want to look into the public service loan forgiveness program and income-based repayment. You'd still end up paying back much of the loan (especially if your salary continues to climb throughout the 10 years), but you'll at least get a good deal of it forgiven.