Fall 08 Rejects Re-Applying for Fall 09?

Cornell07

Last year, I applied to a slew of overly competative PhD programs in History that just didn't pan out (i.e all top 15 programs except one in US history, the most bloody competative track in History). At the last minute, I redid my application and applied to an MA in International and Global History at Columbia/London School of Economics, was waitlisted and eventually was told that I was just on the cusp of not getting in (it was a new program and they were unsure on how many to take) and that I should reapply next year. I want to reapply in the Fall, but not focus so hard on a PhD in History. So, plenty of MA apps in the Fall.

Is anyone else here an across-the-board reject from this recently-ended round of admissions applying again in the Fall?

• 2 weeks later...

I have one more interview left, and if they reject me then I'll be moving to Atlanta to join AmeriCorps there for a year until I'm able to apply again to GSU, because I got wait-listed there and have a better chance of getting in the 2nd time. I got accepted to a masters program at RIT, but decided to reject their offer for a multitude of reasons, and other than the wait-list at GSU, I got rejected everywhere else. I did the same thing and applied to a bunch of PhD programs without a prior masters, and it seemed to me that they just didn't want applicants straight from a bachelors. It's a trying process, but yea, I'll be applying again in the fall.

• 3 weeks later...

i'm 28 years old. did a bachelors in math and a masters in math education. and i've decided that i want to go on for a ph.d. in interdisciplinary/applied math with the goal of being a professor so that i may both teach and continue studying new mathematics.

i am currently on the JET programme (www.jetprogramme.org) teaching english in japan. its a side-interest of mine that i've wanted to do since i was about 20. its a one year contract that is renewable for up to 5 years, but i decided one year was enough.

anyways, when i first got out here i decided to make sure to put together a few grad school applications to set myself up for when i returned home. i think being in japan and being on a bit of a natural high about it made me a bit lazy in properly preparing for my future post-japan. as i result i only applied to two schools that really interested me and i applied fairly close to the deadlines. i was rejected by one school, but i was waitlisted at the school i really wanted to go to and told at the last minute that they couldn't offer me a spot. it really upset me, but i decided that this year i'm gonna apply to at least 10 schools or so. and in fact, i'm really excited about coming back home to america and to get back to studying and taking the GRE subject test - which i didnt take before. i only applied to 2 schools that didnt require the exam.

so this time around i'm gonna do everything right. in fact, i'm gonna live off of my savings for a few months and not work, but instead focus entirely on studying for the GREs and filling out applications and contacting professors. i'm actually pretty excited about it. and i bet i'll get into at least one of those two schools that rejected me this time around.