What are my chance? What GRE score must I get?

donnay

Hi all, I graduated from a school ranked 41 nationally in the U.S.

I graduated June 2010 from a Medical Laboratory Scientist program. I'm looking for some advice. I've done terrible for my gpa, haven't taken the GRE yet (studying super hard for it now), but I have solid research experience and hopefully recommendation and I'm looking to get into a top PhD program for Fall 2012 (next years application cycle).

I'm an American Society for Clinical Pathology certified Medical Laboratory Scientist.

GPA: 3.14 ( yeah pie, that's definitely not my strength) .

GRE: Don't know yet.

One undergrad thesis on HIV research with a 10 minute graduation presentation on the research.

Currently working on another research project as a volunteer, will published as a 2nd author in pharmacology research.

Worked in a clinical lab for a year and a half in hospital from part time to full time in chemistry and hematology division.

Solid LOR from research faculty and class faculties.

I'm looking for PhD in Pathobiology, pharmaceutics, molecular biology, ( I really want to get into NYU, University of Washington, University of California Davis, and Cornell BCMB.) Those are hard with my gpa.

Do you think my low GPA will keep me out of these top programs? I know it's used as an initial filter, but I think I'm too low to make it past that filter (but not certain).

What do you guys think that I should do? What will be my better fit grad school that I should apply?

Thank you!

I think GPA and GRE both matter less than your research experience, as long as they aren't below some minimum.

I'd say your GPA is on the low end, but it's above 3.0 so shouldn't be a major stumbling block.

Your research experience is great, and you can use your SoP to sell it.

I think GPA and GRE both matter less than your research experience, as long as they aren't below some minimum.

I'd say your GPA is on the low end, but it's above 3.0 so shouldn't be a major stumbling block.

Your research experience is great, and you can use your SoP to sell it.

Thanks Eigen, I should focus mostly on my research experience on my SOP then.