Unable to attend MPP admitted student day

mmac06

Against all odds, I was admitted to Master of Public Policy programs at U of Chicago (no $) and Harvard ($ decisions pending). Unfortunately, both schools scheduled their admitted student day for the same date. I'll be attending Harvard's but don't feel comfortable making a decision without visiting U of Chicago as well. I live in Chicago, so it's no problem to stop by the school.

I was wondering how to go about visiting U of Chicago. Should I contact the admissions office to arrange a visit? Should I contact professors I would like to meet? What kind of experiences should I seek out during my visit? Any advice would be great.

Also, because I didn't receive $ from U of C, I was going to slyly mention that I was admitted to Harvard when scheduling my campus visit. If I receive funding from Harvard, I'm also considering approaching U of C to see if they are willing to offer me anything. Does anyone have opinions of this approach?

So I replied to you on another thread, I'll do so in more detail here.

I actually visited all the schools I was accepted to March 14-17, awkward timing considering I was traveling as I was waiting to be admitted. I was even admitted in person at one school. I was able to visit all my schools very close together which I think helps me to compare. The key is to research professors, leaders of student organizations, and administrators (admissions, program directors, and career services) to email 3-5 of them a week prior to your tentative visit. Introduce yourself as an ACCEPTED student.

Tip #1: Go during a weekday so you can sit in on a class. Even better, get the class schedule from Admissions and send an email to a few professors to ask if you can sit in on their class. For those whose classes you are unable to attend, ask if you can speak with them during their office hours. It always helps to say, "Your class sounds so fascinating to me because I have a background or longstanding interest in..."

Tip #2: Ask professors not only about the classes they teach, but also about research or applied research opportunities and if they have kept in touch with any of their former students. That way you can learn if they are a good mentor, if their classes seem to influence the professional direction of students, and if they actually get to know students as individuals. Also, always ask if there is anyone else you can talk to about your interests, I received several direct introductions this way to other professors and importantly, STUDENTS.

Tip #3: I have no problem interrupting professors or administrators, but I admit I get a little more nervous approaching students who may or may not be in the program. A good trick is to ask directions to a place for coffee, the library, etc and add in, "Are you an MPP student here? I also had a "specific question about..." That way it's like 1 minute of their time and you have an easy get away if they are not helpful (rare). Obviously, have a list of q's prepared. (1) What's your favorite class? (2) What class are you looking forward to? (3) Where do students tend to live and how do I get there from here? (4) Do you have an internship lined up for this summer yet?

Tip #4: Spend some time just sitting around to get a general vibe of the place. Like with a cup of coffee while you are reading a syllabus a professor gave you earlier. Doodle on the campus map some notes.

Hope that helps somebody!

Edited by StellaHaiti2