Ford Foundation Fellowship 2011

JoeySsance

gradschool, you are extra wrong, because you even responded to an inquiry from me about how you found out. you see, that is why our parents tell us not to tell a lie, because one lie leads to another :P . well the joke was on me and all the other gullable grad forum followers. good one. relieved though that there is still a chance. i started thinking to myself dang ford is shisty they cant even let us know if we didnt get it. good luck to everyone!

I see where you're coming from ringo, but relax, that was part of the April Fools Day joke! If you had caught on to the oddly capitalized text like a good handful of us did, you wouldn't have asked me the question you did. :lol: But we'll all find out for real soon enough! So hang tight! Good luck everyone!!

P.S. Don't believe everything you read on the internet! ;)

French lit

(I have a feeling all these responses coming in at once will freak some folks out...)

Me too... That wasn't the intention by any means but... maybe it'll get them to come participate!

So does anyone have anything on their minds that they'd like to get out? I'd like to think of this as a friendly community (at least now that the silly April Fools stuff is over). Feel free to vent/rant/whatever... :)

Behavioral Ecology. I definitely wigged out a little bit until I read the post mentioning that we could all share what fields we're in. Adrenaline is GOOD for you! ;)

has anyone called the fellowship office today? any updates?

Hey! I hope I can redeem myself for starting the April Fools nonesense. :lol:

So I called and they said that the decisions would be sent out this week, as we already knew. I asked whether they'd all be sent out at once or not and they said that they didn't know the order, but that they would most likely go out on different days this week. Finally, I wanted to confirm the numbers. It's actually different than what it says on the website!! It turns out that our chances are ever so slightly better! They received 1000 apps of which 800 made it to evaluation and there will be 60 predoctoral awards this year (not 40 like it says on their website)!! So our chances just went up from 5% to 7.5%!! lol

Good luck everyone!!!

Amazing news!!! Thanks for finding out for us.... and yes, atleast in my book, you have been redeemed! :-)

You're welcome! And just to clear something up, all of the numbers I mentioned were for the predoctoral award (i.e. 1000 --> 800 --> 60). If someone wants to call and ask about the other awards, just know that the lady who answered my call was extremely friendly!! :)

Edited by HopefulGrad2B

Hey! I hope I can redeem myself for starting the April Fools nonesense. :lol:

So I called and they said that the decisions would be sent out this week, as we already knew. I asked whether they'd all be sent out at once or not and they said that they didn't know the order, but that they would most likely go out on different days this week. Finally, I wanted to confirm the numbers. It's actually different than what it says on the website!! It turns out that our chances are ever so slightly better! They received 1000 apps of which 800 made it to evaluation and there will be 60 predoctoral awards this year (not 40 like it says on their website)!! So our chances just went up from 5% to 7.5%!! lol

Good luck everyone!!!

You are more than redeemed! Thank you so much! :)

according to the website, all my app materials were received, but i never actually got a confirmation of any sort that my app was complete. (though i've been away from my mailing address so i wouldn't know if i got one via post.) did everyone else get this? it's probably just last minute jitters but i'm hoping that my app wasn't excluded from review for some silly technical reason.

My log-in page says, "Welcome, Cesada Lastname. Your application has been successfully submitted." I never got any further notification that the application was complete, but I figured that was enough.

Also, you guys definitely got me with the prank. Nice one. Thanks for having the mercy to tell everyone it was a joke! :-)

Edited by cesada

My log-in page says, "Welcome, Cesada Lastname. Your application has been successfully submitted." I never got any further notification that the application was complete, but I figured that was enough.

Also, you guys definitely got me with the prank. Nice one. Thanks for having the mercy to tell everyone it was a joke! :-)

thanks for responding. yeah, that's what mine reads as well.

good luck all of you!

Mine says the same, as well.

I submitted my GRE scores (even though they were optional) and it says that they were received, but on the left side it says "Consolidated GRE Report file" in boldface but not in the same brown color as the other headings (e.g. Transcripts). Does anyone else who submitted scores have something similar? It's clearly not something worth worrying about; as someone mentioned earlier, it's just last-minute jitters. Incidentally, what do we all consider would be a competitive combined GRE score for a humanities predoctoral applicant? I know some people didn't submit scores and they won't be penalized, but does anyone think a combined 1320 is too low to compete? [720V (98th percentile), 600M (some embarrassingly low percentile)] I hope I didn't mess up my chances by submitting my scores. I got into Ivies and other top-rated programs in my field, notably the program I mentioned on my application, so my scores were good enough for top grad schools... but how about for the Ford? Thanks!

Mine says the same, as well.

I submitted my GRE scores (even though they were optional) and it says that they were received, but on the left side it says "Consolidated GRE Report file" in boldface but not in the same brown color as the other headings (e.g. Transcripts). Does anyone else who submitted scores have something similar? It's clearly not something worth worrying about; as someone mentioned earlier, it's just last-minute jitters. Incidentally, what do we all consider would be a competitive combined GRE score for a humanities predoctoral applicant? I know some people didn't submit scores and they won't be penalized, but does anyone think a combined 1320 is too low to compete? [720V (98th percentile), 600M (some embarrassingly low percentile)] I hope I didn't mess up my chances by submitting my scores. I got into Ivies and other top-rated programs in my field, notably the program I mentioned on my application, so my scores were good enough for top grad schools... but how about for the Ford? Thanks!

C'mon guys, I thought I had redeemed myself by calling today!! :unsure: I'm sure everyone's GRE Math scores are phenomenal compared to mine (then again, I'm a humanities person), but I'd really like to know your opinions. I didn't mean to turn this into a chances thread. I already applied, so I'm just curious if there's an approximate combined score everyone thinks might be competitive enough (in addition to the more subjective parts of the application). I know there are around 10 of us on this page right now (and at any given moment, for that matter)... so someone please reply? :P

i dont know how important GRE scores are for foundation purposes.. but i think theres other way more important things in that application than GRE scores. they probably use them to see what are your "odds" of getting into grad school. If you have already been to, or are in grad school the GRE scores shouldn't really matter (unless you only wrote your name). Applicants for the fellowship are typically minorities right? some of us don't even have english as our first language, let alone answer those crazy GRE vocab questions.

and yes.. the department you're from should matter when they're looking at GRE scores, it does everywhere else so ford should be the same.. i dont see why they would expect the same scores for a physics student compared to a humanities student in math lets say.