Ford Foundation Fellowship 2011

JoeySsance

i dont know how important GRE scores are for foundation purposes.. but i think theres other way more important things in that application than GRE scores. they probably use them to see what are your "odds" of getting into grad school. If you have already been to, or are in grad school the GRE scores shouldn't really matter (unless you only wrote your name). Applicants for the fellowship are typically minorities right? some of us don't even have english as our first language, let alone answer those crazy GRE vocab questions.

and yes.. the department you're from should matter when they're looking at GRE scores, it does everywhere else so ford should be the same.. i dont see why they would expect the same scores for a physics student compared to a humanities student in math lets say.

Thanks for your input, ibluz. I'm a minority myself. I was born in Latin America and I bet we have the same first language. ;) However, I grew up in the U.S. and I studied really, really hard for the GRE Verbal section. Luckily it paid off! :) It's interesting that you think they only use our scores to gauge our likelihood of getting into grad school. If that's the case, then *whew* huge sigh of relief! Since GRE scores are optional, and people have won without submitting theirs, I'd have to agree with ibluz that they're not a very important component of the application. What does everyone else think?

I'm in Clinical Psych.

This waiting is getting agonizing! Though one of the first years in my program received the Ford Fellowship last year (2010) and she said the Rejections and Honorable Mentions went out by email before the award notifications by email, so maybe no news is good news? Who knows what they are doing this year but I'm hoping we'll find out soon!

I just called the office about the dissertation fellowship, and was told notifications would get sent out this week all electronically. When I asked the stats (how many applied, how many would be awarded) she said she couldn't give me that info. Hope this helps... ?

i don't know about y'all but at this point i am emotionally drained by this whole process. i also applied for the NSF-GRF which as you can imagine did not pan out. i am almost regretting having put myself through this! i know rejection is part of the process. not having proposals picked up is one thing but i need money to live! not been a good day......

i don't know about y'all but at this point i am emotionally drained by this whole process. i also applied for the NSF-GRF which as you can imagine did not pan out. i am almost regretting having put myself through this! i know rejection is part of the process. not having proposals picked up is one thing but i need money to live! not been a good day......

ugh, yeah, fellowship apps are entirely draining... it's a lot of work, and essentially a gamble for a real source of income. i'm lucky that my department provides steady funding, but with huge undergrad debts, in an expensive city where housing eats up most of my $ and with an unemployed spouse, it's still pretty tough to manage - and demoralizing at times. i'm really exhausted by all of it - especially when april rolls around, because it's always an emotional rollercoaster. this week, everytime i check my email i feel slightly ill. but hang in there!!! it's tough for most if not all of us - but it's also a source of support to have a place like this where we can vent and get support from fellow-grads. good luck and good vibes to everyone.

ugh, yeah, fellowship apps are entirely draining... it's a lot of work, and essentially a gamble for a real source of income. i'm lucky that my department provides steady funding, but with huge undergrad debts, in an expensive city where housing eats up most of my $ and with an unemployed spouse, it's still pretty tough to manage - and demoralizing at times. i'm really exhausted by all of it - especially when april rolls around, because it's always an emotional rollercoaster. this week, everytime i check my email i feel slightly ill. but hang in there!!! it's tough for most if not all of us - but it's also a source of support to have a place like this where we can vent and get support from fellow-grads. good luck and good vibes to everyone.

word!

ah, time to retire to yon bed, watch an episode of something, then sleep. maybe i'll wake up in the middle of the night to the sound of an email dropping in my inbox.

chin up, chin up!

i want to go to bed soooo bad right now but am stuck at my 8-5 and have class tonight until 9 then reading, then assingments, then........ i want to go to bed so bad right now! :-(

I am applying for the dissertation fellowship. I am on pins and needles waiting, but I also know that I am not going to get it. This is because of a few mistakes in my application. (Stupid, I know. But the application was somewhat last minute, with reason.) However, every time my adviser sees me, he asks me when I am going to hear back regarding a decision. It makes the waiting that much worse. Ugh... I know I am not getting it, but I am still nervous as heck.

I'm so on edge right now about the Ford Fellowship. I applied for the pre-doctoral and this my second time applying. Last year I received Honorable Mention which is something BUT without the money it isn't much!

I'm presenting at a conference this week. I am hoping not to find out the bad news before I present or else it will kill my confidence completely! :(

I'm so on edge right now about the Ford Fellowship. I applied for the pre-doctoral and this my second time applying. Last year I received Honorable Mention which is something BUT without the money it isn't much!

I'm presenting at a conference this week. I am hoping not to find out the bad news before I present or else it will kill my confidence completely! :(

Good luck with the conference presentation!

It would be great if we could even know what time of day we might expect to receive an email. Then I wouldn't have to jump every time I hear the email notifier at all hours of the day and night.

Edited by monkeydoc

It would be great if we could even know what time of day we might expect to receive an email. Then I wouldn't have to jump every time I hear the email notifier at all hours of the day and night.

... like I just did with the notification about your post... :P or as others may have been doing with all of this week's posts...

I actually get notifications from this site through another e-mail address which makes a different sound than my main one where I'd get the Ford decision... so at least I know which sound to look out for. That still doesn't stop me from jumping when I hear any e-mail-related sounds!!

Anyway, now that NSF results are out, ours should follow very shortly afterward... right? Isn't that how it's been done in past years?

Perhaps one of us could call to ask: a) Has anyone already been notified? If not, then B) when this week will notifications start going out?

I would call but have no credit on my cell phone. Any volunteers?

they already said they'd be out this week.

just wait, go outside, have a cookie.

:)

or stay inside and do some reading? currently working my way through S. Gallagher's "How the Body Shapes the Mind." Shot too nabby.

Just got the rejection:

APRIL 6, 2011

Dear Ford Foundation Fellowship Dissertation Applicant:

The evaluation of applications for the Ford Foundation Fellowships 2011 dissertation competition has been completed. We regret to inform you that we are unable to offer you a fellowship.

Approximately 500 dissertation applications were reviewed by panels composed of highly qualified scientists, engineers, and humanities scholars from across the nation. Since only 35 dissertation awards are available, many deserving candidates could not be selected.

Application materials for the 2012 competition will become available in September 2011. If you are eligible to apply in this program next year, visit the Fellowships Office Web Page: www.nationalacademies.org/fellowships for information and materials.

On behalf of the Ford Foundation and the National Research Council of the National Academies, I thank you for your participation in this competition.

Congrats to those who who have been awarded! :-)