Ford Foundation Fellowship 2011

JoeySsance

Rejection Letter received. :-(.

I am doubly disappointed, since I really worked hard on it.

FYI: If you want feedback email them directly or call them, they will send you feedback in the mail. I did this last time I applied and was able to get feedback, although it still did not help.

Sorry to hear about the rejections so far! I've heard no news yet... Ahhh...

So were any of the recent postings for the predoctoral fellowship?

I'm surprised they don't tell you why you were rejected, or what specifically weakened your application!

avu, I know what you mean, but this actually doesn't surprise me... it's a free competition (i.e. we don't pay application fees) plus with the sheer volume of applications, it just makes sense that they wouldn't give detailed feedback to every single individual. That being said, from what I gathered on previous years' Ford threads, if you're turned down, you can request feedback/rating sheets and get this very same info! (Wouldn't it be cool if they gave it out to everyone by default?)

Edited by sesquipedalian87

Sorry to hear about bad news so far.

Any pre-docs hear back yet?

According to last year's posts it looks like rejections/honorable mentions trickled in first, then awardees were notified.

mine was for predoctoral.

avu, I know what you mean, but this actually doesn't surprise me... it's a free competition (i.e. we don't pay application fees) plus with the sheer volume of applications, it just makes sense that they wouldn't give detailed feedback to every single individual. That being said, from what I gathered on previous years' Ford threads, if you're turned down, you can request feedback/rating sheets and get this very same info! (Wouldn't it be cool if they gave it out to everyone by default?)

I'd imagine the rejections are done in batches, if there are about 1500+ total, no? We got form letters, which I doubt they do to winners. My rejection came from "NRC FO No Reply <NRCFONoReply@nas.edu>". I guess they don't want us losers to reply! So maybe it's good news if you haven't heard back yet!

ughhhhh

when i got the email my heart sank, and i was right, it was a rejection. BUT i did get Honorable Mention, since my app was "sufficiently meritorious." it makes me feel slightly less wounded.

I haven't heard back yet (for the predoctoral). The suspense is killing me! So what time did predoctoral rejections come at? Do you think they'll be sent out in batches? Or is it safe to assume if I haven't gotten one yet, I'm in the clear? I haven't heard back absolutely anything yet!!!

I just got an email for an honorable mention, so I think they may be starting with flat out rejections, then moving to HM and then on to winners in that order maybe? Crazy. I also just got my reviews from the NSF GRFP which I didnt get. Got HM last year. This process has left me even more confused on the ins and outs of this grant process! However, I will subject myself to more torture next year...hope to meet others who didnt get it on this string next year too!

Wait, I'm sorry, I don't follow... did you get a rejection or HM?

HM

"Dear Ford Foundation Fellowship Predoctoral Applicant:

Your application in the 2011 predoctoral competition of the Ford Foundation Fellowships Program

has been carefully evaluated. We regret to inform you that we are unable to offer you a fellowship.

However, it is a pleasure to inform you that your application was sufficiently meritorious to receive

special recognition. Unless you requested otherwise, your name will appear on the Honorable

Mention List, which will be posted on the Fellowships Office Web Page."

Wait, I'm sorry, I don't follow... did you get a rejection or HM?

Rejection and Honorable Mention are not mutually exclusive.

Good luck to all who have not heard!

Edited by zymurgist

Honorable Mention, blahhh. So anti-climactic. They need to throw a little money in with the HMs

Edited by Anthro14

When I applied for the pre-doc in 2007 I was an alternate but didn't get it so then I got bumped down to HM. It was one of the most agonizing summers as I waited to hear back. sad.gif

Then in 2008 I re-applied and got only HM.

On my CV I decided to put the HM, but only once -- for 2007... I guess I felt like the first time it's nice, but I was too shy to communicate I sucked twice in a row. I think it's a good idea for me to have the HM for 2007 on there because I got other awards in 2008 but nothing in 2007. So it fills a gap and it shows I at least try to get funding, which I think unis like. I think I might remove it as I move along in the career tho.

Does anyone have an idea what the chances are that someone in the humanities will turn down a Ford? I know science and engineering folks also have that big NSF competition for which there are usually cross-winners, but what about in the humanities? I'm sure it happens but maybe not as often... I'm definitely mentioning the "alternate" status on my CV and hey, this is certainly motivation for me to apply again next year... Who knows what could happen! But maybe I'm jumping the gun here b/c... I could still win!! Ahhhh... Wish me luck!! Good luck to those still awaiting notification!

Well, ...

I am an alternate with honorable mention for the Pre-doctoral fellowship.

I wonder how many alternates there are.

Hope will now be placed on the back burner for a month or so.

Best of luck to everyone!