Tuition Fee after completing coursework?

garibaldi

Hello!

I had a question regarding tuition fee for PhD students. I now most of you are funded so you've probably never bothered with this detail, but anyhow here goes my query: I would imagine that the tuition fee during coursework ( i.e first 2-3 years if you are full time student) would be higher than when it is completed and you are solely working on your thesis? Isnt tuition fees made up of no. of credit hours you take? If so, how may credit hours does work on thesis typically utilize?

Thanks for any info here!

It may differ from school to school, but actually, I think most PhD tuition is on a per-term basis, i.e., you are charged a flat-rate every term you are still in the program. It doesn't matter how many courses you take or whether you're done coursework altogether.

Ours scales by hours. In addition, the "fees" drop once you're done with your required classes and are on dissertation research.

Here at least, Diss. Research is 3 credit hours.

My program only charges tuition per credit hour while you are doing coursework (first 2 1/2 to 3 years) then you just pay a "doctoral studies" fee until you finish your Ph. D.

I think it varies based on the institution, I am going to a private university.

Do you have a specific school in mind?