High Verbal, Low Quantitative

Normal

Just took the GRE today, and did very well (from what I understand) on my verbal (610), but horribly on my quantitative (420). I've taken two practice GREs and have received these scores each time, even after studying. I haven't received my analytical/writing score yet, although I believe it will be good. I'm just wondering how much of a detriment my quantitative score will be when the admissions committee reviews my application. I plan on applying to media/film programs and I even have somewhat of a film/media background, and so I realize it won't be as big of a deal than if I were applying to an engineering or CS program (for example), but I'm still worrying since my quant. score seems to be so much lower than most people's. I've reviewed admissions statistics for a wide variety of programs and while my verbal score is consistently on top, I have not once come close to a program that has an average GRE(Q) score lower than mine for either applicants or admitted students.

Frankly, I find it odd how adept most people seem to be on aggregate with math than with verbal ability, but there you have it. By the way, I was on the border of being diagnosed with a LD in math in high school, although I have no idea where any of the documentation for that is, and I haven't looked for it as it didn't seem necessary for anything, but it does seem to be an issue in this instance. Will the contrast of my high verbal score reconcile my low quant score or should I re-take the test? Is the discrepancy in scores something that is necessary to explain to a committee or is it fairly obvious that I simply have skills in one area that I lack in another?

Edited by Normal

It really depends on the percentage of your GRE score as well. Most likely, you will hit around 89 to 90% for verbal score of 610 but less than 45% for quant score. If for some reason your quant is 60% or better even with a score of 420, then that means that the test questions were hard for most people and it's acceptable. If you have solid GPA, LoR, plus experience, having a low GRE score won't be as detrimental, however, when it comes to funding situation, your GRE score would be factored in.

If you have the time, you should try retaking the GRE and try to aim for Q of 600 or higher. If you are having a really hard time improving your quant score, check out sample questions from the ETS websiet for the new GRE starting Aug. It may be easier for you.

It really depends on the percentage of your GRE score as well. Most likely, you will hit around 89 to 90% for verbal score of 610 but less than 45% for quant score. If for some reason your quant is 60% or better even with a score of 420, then that means that the test questions were hard for most people and it's acceptable. If you have solid GPA, LoR, plus experience, having a low GRE score won't be as detrimental, however, when it comes to funding situation, your GRE score would be factored in.

If you have the time, you should try retaking the GRE and try to aim for Q of 600 or higher. If you are having a really hard time improving your quant score, check out sample questions from the ETS websiet for the new GRE starting Aug. It may be easier for you.

I agree with this statement and I would also look up the schools you are applying to on the results page to see what scores people who were accepted got. For example, I believe that NYU prefers above 600 on both parts of the test, but you'll have to check it out to see for sure.

Edited by jmacnomad