University of Virginia (UVA)

Catamount

Any other UVA soc program applicants/new admits/current students lurking? :)

I've just this week received an unofficial offer of admission... now just waiting for the offical offer (not sure whether to expect it by email or snail mail) so I can officially accept through the GSAS system. So exciting!!

At any rate I'd love to hear from anyone else who's already there or will be attending in the Fall. I've also yet to visit so I'd also be interested in knowing anyone's perspectives on the area, department, etc.

This doesn't directly answer your question, but I'm looking to apply there by 2013 (I'm a sophomore in my BA this fall). What are your research interests? (just so I know what types of scholars they like).

I currently attend another public school in Virginia but have spent a lot of time at UVA. The area is gorgeous and Charlottesville is arguably the best college town in the state. Since it's a small city, it has amenities and resources unavailable to smaller college towns. The weather is temperate and we get all four seasons (fall is definitely the best). It's two hours from Washington D.C., which is a major perk -- the museums at the Smithsonian are mind-blowingly awesome and admission is free. 550 miles of the Appalachian Trail run across Virginia and it's paradise for backpackers, campers, and nature-lovers. The mountains are blue, which is a neat sight.

Be forewarned, UVA has a huge Greek scene and can be really fratty. Loud parties galore, though I'm sure there are places to escape.

My advisor got his Ph.D. in sociology there back in the '90s and speaks highly of the program and faculty. It's been a long time, though, so I don't know how things have changed.

That's all I can tell you, and little of it relates to the department. Not a bad place to spend five years, though.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, I just accepted the offical offer online...so I'm coming to UVA this fall.

Think my field would be economic sociology.

Btw, did you receive the paper admission? If yes, how long have you waited for it? Cant wait for more info about the department :)

• 11 months later...

I will be attending in the fall too! They have on campus living or off-campus(I did the calculations and it is not too much of a difference). Studios/one bedrooms are a lot more pricey then if you were get a "private suite", which is essentially your own bed/bathroom with a shared common space. brac.com was quite helpful...

Edited by socstudent2012