Accepted!!!

Roll Right

Thanks everyone. Joops - keep me informed, I'm pulling for you.

Thanks Roll Right! I actually just got my acceptance letter from UNCC and I'm anxiously awaiting funding news. I'm SOOOO excited to return to school! I'll tell you more when I speak to the DGS. If you have any advice about doing the MA -> PhD route, please let me know.

Looks like things are looking up for the two of us!

Congratulations Roll Right!

And congratulations joops! UNC-C is a really great program. They do a great job of placing people in top PhD programs.

Thanks Roll Right! I actually just got my acceptance letter from UNCC and I'm anxiously awaiting funding news. I'm SOOOO excited to return to school! I'll tell you more when I speak to the DGS. If you have any advice about doing the MA -> PhD route, please let me know.

Looks like things are looking up for the two of us!

Thanks, Doctor Jimmy. Do you know someone who went there, or is this from personal experience?

I still may get off the WL to Indiana, so maybe see you there?

Congratulations Roll Right!

And congratulations joops! UNC-C is a really great program. They do a great job of placing people in top PhD programs.

Yes indeed. I will keep my fingers crossed for IU.

I know a few people that went to UNC-C that are now in good PhD programs (or that were accepted this year into good PhD programs). What is you area of interest?

Thanks, Doctor Jimmy. Do you know someone who went there, or is this from personal experience?

I still may get off the WL to Indiana, so maybe see you there?

Thanks for keeping your fingers crossed for me. I do hope Indiana comes through, but at the same time, I'm so relieved that I have a great program to attend if it doesn't.

I am interested in sociology of religion, political sociology, and social movements. I want to understand the role that religion plays in civil rights movements and how those movements come together to affect the creation of legislature.

Now that I've reiterated my SOP, I'd like to apologize for hijacking Roll Right's thread. :P

Yes indeed. I will keep my fingers crossed for IU.

I know a few people that went to UNC-C that are now in good PhD programs (or that were accepted this year into good PhD programs). What is you area of interest?

That's so kind of you to say. Hope I didn't come off as too sad and sordid B).

You're probably headed to Penn State, correct?

I'm happy for the both of you. It's funny, i was checking this site frequently and looking for updates from the both of you as well as much as news about schools.

I am interested in sociology of religion, political sociology, and social movements. I want to understand the role that religion plays in civil rights movements and how those movements come together to affect the creation of legislature.

Very cool topics of interest, joops! Sounds like you'll have to incorporate a lot of historical data, of which there should be ample amounts. I just finished "God and Race in American Politics" by Mark Noll. A fascinating and short read on the topic. I've heard Omar McRoberts at UChicago has been working on a historical study along lines similar to yours. Also, if you plan on traveling down the "race and religion" path of scholarship, I'd suggest pursuing relationships with Michael Emerson at Rice (just started an incredibly well-funded PhD program), Korie Edwards at Ohio State, Gerardo Marti at Davidson (close to where you will be), and Penny Edgell at Minnesota. Good luck!

Very cool topics of interest, joops! Sounds like you'll have to incorporate a lot of historical data, of which there should be ample amounts. I just finished "God and Race in American Politics" by Mark Noll. A fascinating and short read on the topic. I've heard Omar McRoberts at UChicago has been working on a historical study along lines similar to yours. Also, if you plan on traveling down the "race and religion" path of scholarship, I'd suggest pursuing relationships with Michael Emerson at Rice (just started an incredibly well-funded PhD program), Korie Edwards at Ohio State, Gerardo Marti at Davidson (close to where you will be), and Penny Edgell at Minnesota. Good luck!

Sounds similar to my interests. Keep in touch. Charlotte is an awesome city, one of my favorites. I still have some friends there. You'll do well, there are a lot of opportunities in NC for sociological work. Make sure you visit Wilmington.