International student willing to change graduate univ.

newboy

I have been accepted in the doctorate degree at a fairly good 100+ (USNEWS) ranked university and I am joining it because I have been awarded a teaching assistantshiop and so many people have suggested me in taking the opportunity in hand rather than to wait. However I still want to apply for the top 30-60 ranked universities. Because I had to register and take my GRE test late and by the time my GRE scores were received many of the universities where I would have wanted to apply had closed their deadlines. So I could apply only to few places.

So now is there a possibility of making a credit transfer from a master's program or do I need to reapply for the new university?

Also how much of a chance do I stand in being awarded an assistantship?

I have run out of ideas but I desperately want to move on to a better place. Any suggestions will be gladly accepted!

First off, don't waste your time in a program you don't want to attend. Grad studies are difficult enough for the people who truly love where they are and what they're doing. Secondly, why not finish the MA you've committed to, and then apply to new schools for your PhD? The MA is only 1-2 years, and I'm betting it would look a little fishy to hop from grad school to grad school, without completing a degree first. Finally, is the only reason you don't like the school you accepted their USNews ranking? This seems a bit silly to me. Not only are there many ranking systems out there, but rankings are almost completely subjective, based on people's perceptions of quality, rather than actual quality. Why not investigate your options and compile your own rankings based on what matters to you?

The reality is that in most fields it is pretty difficult to transfer credits and in some cases you may end up starting over. This will vary program by program, so it's important that you talk to the people at the schools you want to go to about whether they accept transfer credits. The flip side to this is that you might do coursework or research that makes you a stronger, more successful candidate - this is sort-of what happened to me in my MA program, so although I am essentially losing some of the time I put into my MA, I'm recouping by finishing that degree and continuing on for my PhD in a stronger program which fits me better. However, given the option I don't believe I would do it this way again.

You also need to consider if, should you go into the program you've accepted to, and are not accepted to another one next year, you'd be content to continue (or even to quit). I'm guessing not, since you already seem set against it. In which case, I think that you should just hold off another year and try again.