Masters in International Education Policy

Harpreet

I'm preparing to apply to a few schools for International Education Policy for next year 2012. If anyone else has applied or is thinking of applying, let us work together!

I'm starting with the list of best policy schools (US World News) and looking at individual websites to learn more about each program. I'm looking for a school that focuses on researching how policy can impact student achievement in developing countries. What's your take?

Hey, that's pretty much my take too! I started looking into it a couple years ago and applied this fall. I'm still deciding between programs. I don't know if I know much more than you, because I did the same thing (US News, then look at websites), but I'm pretty excited to go to a program this fall. I'm not sure if I have anything to offer, but if you need any help, let me know!

Hi,

I too am interested in the same line... had applied for Fall 2011 to Ed.M. in HGSE and SUSE - rejected by former and waitlisted by latter. Did the same thing - went through the sites of the individual programs and tried to learn as much as I could from them.

You need to take a close look at the IEPM program at Vanderbilt. And as for your specific area of interest, google "Heyneman/Loxley Effect". Why Vanderbilt/Peabody? Professor Heyneman is the chair of the department there. Money plays a significant role with developing countries - $100 spent in a third-world nation has more of an effect than $100 spent on a fully-developed nation. That's why per-student spending in American public schools, while doubling over the past two decades(IIRC) adjusted for inflation, has yielded no net increase in overall grade-level performance by American students.

IEPM at Vanderbilt is twice as long, but you get twice the depth; what you do by taking the IEAPA option at Stanford in 3 months, you spend the second year doing at Peabody. It's a small competitive program though - 10 international slots and 10 American slots in each cohort; that's not a lot of openings!

Edited by kismetcapitan

Peabody is ranked #1 in Education, but does anyone know if ranking for International Ed programs exist? I've been looking, but haven't found any. Also, I completely agree with the last post to look into Peabody's IEPM program. Really fantastic. I'm going to visit in a few weeks. Let me know if you have anything that you'd like for me to ask/look into while I'm there.

when you start subdividing that deeply, what you're really looking for, and this generally holds true for nearly any concentration, are the actual professors and if their research matches your goals and interests. Rankings, which are the subjective judgement of a for-profit news company, become essentially meaningless at that point.

when you start subdividing that deeply, what you're really looking for, and this generally holds true for nearly any concentration, are the actual professors and if their research matches your goals and interests. Rankings, which are the subjective judgement of a for-profit news company, become essentially meaningless at that point.

So, are you saying then, that if you were me and were accepted to Vanderbilt, UCLA & Penn, you'd go Vanderbilt all the way? I've looked at Heyneman a bit and read a few of his articles, but find I have a hard time getting a good feel for the professors when I'm looking at schools. Glad to get an outside opinion. Have to decide by Friday and I'm still soooo not sure which to pick.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Kismet Captain,

I read a ton of your posts regarding HGSE...why Vanderbilt? I accepted at Harvard but have lingering thoughts about Vandy's MPP Program.

Thank you,

Helen A

Here's a loaded question: which school: Vanderbilt, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, or Penn....has the best job placement of it's IEP grads into international development organizations, like UNESCO or the World Bank?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Kismet Captain,

I read a ton of your posts regarding HGSE...why Vanderbilt? I accepted at Harvard but have lingering thoughts about Vandy's MPP Program.

Thank you,

Helen A

because Harvard's strengths are not in international education policy, they're more focused on domestic urban education. IEP at Harvard isn't well organized and good luck finding your advisor; I heard about one HGSE student who couldn't find his advisor until March...two months before graduation! After really doing the research into the schools and meeting the faculty, there was no question: it had to be Peabody.

Vanderbilt simply has the best IEP program and Stephen Heyneman is a heavyweight in the field, plus he's very hands-on. It takes twice as long, but if you're really serious about policy, you need that summer in between and intern somewhere, gain experience, and then go on to do the research for your thesis. This is in fairly sharp contrast to taking a bunch of survey classes and then graduating before you know it, wondering where on earth (literally) to find a job. Tuition is about the same as well.

However, if you know EXACTLY where you want to work (say the World Bank), have some experience to back that up, and want the Harvard name on your resume, HGSE could be viable to boost your odds of getting that specific job you already know you want. I have several interests though - high performance education systems (Finland, Singapore, South Korea), fast-tracking education in developing countries and emerging economies, and shadow education, and I'm sure a couple others will come up, like education development in Afghanistan....the only thing I'm certain of is that I'm more focused on primary and secondary education rather than higher education.

• 2 months later...

I am also preparing International Education Policy program in 2012 Fall.

But I rarely have information about programs, and just finished GRE... so tight to prepare

Does anyone can share information or recommendation for me?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also applying in this field (although I'm not sure how far toward policy I want to lean). I guess I don't have much to add at the moment but that. I've been looking at schools by going through schools' Web sites and reading up on the research interests of various professors, then printing off the ones that are most interesting to me for further research... However, I'm taking the GRE in 2.5 weeks, so I've mostly put a hold on school research until I finish that. Good luck to everyone!

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

woohooo! awesome! I know there are more- I know people even applying to the programs. There are just limited people that a) go to these sites and B) write in forums!

Good luck mustangintokyo! Where are you applying? Have you heard any good news yet?

Shoot, I don't know anyone applying to our type of programs haha! Seems like all my friends and their mom is going to law school...But yeah, you're right, there's probably even less of us folk that are applying to IEP/D programs AND write in these forums...I was checking this forum out for a while and I finally decided to register a few days back :)

I've applied to UPenn, Vandy, Columbia and Harvard.

Got in to UPenn back in the beginning of December with a small scholarship and a bit more $ if I agree to do like, a graduate assistant thing.

What about you? (or anyone else lurking the boards...)

Awesome! I have applied to UPenn, Harvard, Columbia, Vandy and GWU. I have been accepted into UPenn (also with small scholarship), Vandy and GWU. I am still waiting to here from the other two programs and funding for the others as well. Looks like there will be a chance we are in the same program! I was unable to also go to the open houses etc because I am not in the USA- but according to the departments this is the most common with this program- most of the applicants are currently working overseas- another reason why this problem is probably not full. It is just the nature of our line of work. I am very excited though!! I am definately leaning torward certain schools but a lot will come down to $$ too. :) Good luck! We will have to keep in touch!

Hello people! I'm a prospective IED/P student from India. I applied to Penn, Harvard, Stanford and NYU for their IED/P programmes. Got accepted to Penn and will most probably take it up too because of its association with UNESCO. Which schools are the rest of you all leaning towards? Just need some clarity before I finally accept Penn!

• 11 months later...