Applying to Graduate Schools (genetics)

sanf4362

Hello,

I am currently attending a state school in NY for a undergrad degree in Genetics. I am also minoring in Chemistry. This wasnt the highest program I was accepted to, but I picked it based on the specific major I could pursue there.

So here I am entering senior year. with a 3.5 GPA that is "teetering" onto a 3.6, a summer fellowship doing research at my home univeristy last year, a year of research ( in which the second semester I had to take an incomplete because my experiments kept failing, this should be remedied quite quickly once I get back in mid august and have some time I can devote to the experiments." I also have an internship this summer working in Public Health for my county. My research advisor is on sabaticall this coming semester so I can't really do research for credit and with the one graduate student on the project leaving this makes me the student with the most experience, so I will definitely be in the lab still.

I am slightly worried that because of my course load last year, I seemed lazy to my research advisor, but really what it was, was sleep deprived. And this will lead to a lackluster recommendation. That be said I work my butt off in all my classes and really try to be in the lab as much as possible. (it was difficult sharing a thermocycler with a grad student and 4 labs for genetics). I have a good deal of professors I can ask for recommendations, but I just hope that even though the numbers weren't there...I WAS ( if you know what i mean).

I really want to go into Human Genetics, and the trouble is most of the programs that are specifically geared to that seem to be very high brow schools MIT, WUSTL, U of Pitt, U of Mich, CWR. After the PhD I want to pursue a fellowship in Clinical Molecular Genetics and get my ABMG certification.

Unfortunately, based on the research I have done looking at programs I feel like WUSTL is one of the best choices considering where I want to end up. And based on my numbers (GRE is coming in about a month), it seems like it will be a miracle if I made it in there.

So basically, I want to get into the best possible program that I can be in for me. I really cant see myself doing anything other than a PhD.

I have started researching peoples research and trying to get a handle on some of the big names in human genetics, but I have a way to go.

Any advice? Is it to early for me to be worrying?

every professor i've ever talked to about graduate school has said that as long as you have at least a 3.5 you have a chance at getting into great schools. plus you already have research experience. that carries a great deal of weight. and you have a good grasp on what you want to do and what direction you are headed. you have a lot going for you.

i'd recommend applying to some of those outstanding schools, but consider them your "reach" schools. and try to strike up some email communications with professors youre interested in working with at those schools before applying.

just be sure to apply to plenty of middle of the road schools as well as a few safety schools. as far as finding more schools that would offer such programs, why not ask some of your current professors for some advice?

• 2 weeks later...

I have been in contact with some professor and they have given me some decent advice. For now I am going to focus on the GRE and then I will really get into it, even though I have like 15 schools at least I am looking at.

Thanks for all your help!