MA funding, MA vs. PhD, etc.

Rhoda

Hi everyone,

I'm very new to this process and since you've already been extremely helpful, I figured I'd ask another question. I'm still in the process of determining whether to pursue an MA or a PhD, and I was wondering if there were any resources I could consult to find out which MAs were funded? I understand that this varies, but is it true that most of the time, MAs are unfunded? It seems to me that it's harder to find resources on masters programs for art history, unlike finding information on PhD programs. Are there ranking systems for Master programs like there are for PhDs? And if you apply to PhD programs, can you also be considered for masters programs if you aren't accepted?

And one more question: what is a POI? I've been seeing that around this board, and I'm afraid I don't know what it means. Does it have to do with the professor you want to study with? From reading this board, I feel like I've been getting conflicting information -- is it best to contact professors you're interested in studying with before you apply, or should you not contact them (because it's a nuisance)?

Thanks so much, guys. Sorry for all the questions!

Hi everyone,

I'm very new to this process and since you've already been extremely helpful, I figured I'd ask another question. I'm still in the process of determining whether to pursue an MA or a PhD, and I was wondering if there were any resources I could consult to find out which MAs were funded? I understand that this varies, but is it true that most of the time, MAs are unfunded? It seems to me that it's harder to find resources on masters programs for art history, unlike finding information on PhD programs. Are there ranking systems for Master programs like there are for PhDs? And if you apply to PhD programs, can you also be considered for masters programs if you aren't accepted?

And one more question: what is a POI? I've been seeing that around this board, and I'm afraid I don't know what it means. Does it have to do with the professor you want to study with? From reading this board, I feel like I've been getting conflicting information -- is it best to contact professors you're interested in studying with before you apply, or should you not contact them (because it's a nuisance)?

Thanks so much, guys. Sorry for all the questions!

I am not in Art History, so I cannot answer everything.

Basically, yes, you are right in thinking that most MA programmes are unfunded. I am not sure whether there are any MA ratings. I suggest you study previous Art History threads on this forum to get a sense of which schools may offer money for MA candidates; also, have a look at the Results section as sometimes people post details of their financial offers there.

As for POI - opinions differ but it commonly understood as Point of Information - the faculty you have been in correspondence with prior to applying.

I would strongly recommend contacting the faculty (whose academic interests match yours and with whom you'd like to work) prior to applying. ... Unless it is explicitly stated in the school website not to bother the faculty... (but even then, you could laugh.gif).

I thought POI was professor of interest.

I am not in Art History, so I cannot answer everything.

Basically, yes, you are right in thinking that most MA programmes are unfunded. I am not sure whether there are any MA ratings. I suggest you study previous Art History threads on this forum to get a sense of which schools may offer money for MA candidates; also, have a look at the Results section as sometimes people post details of their financial offers there.

As for POI - opinions differ but it commonly understood as Point of Information - the faculty you have been in correspondence with prior to applying.

I would strongly recommend contacting the faculty (whose academic interests match yours and with whom you'd like to work) prior to applying. ... Unless it is explicitly stated in the school website not to bother the faculty... (but even then, you could laugh.gif).

Oh, okay, thanks! I thought places like Tulane and Williams were funded (often) so I was wondering if there were more like that. I feel like schools like to hide financial stuff on their websites or make it reallll vague.

Oh, okay, thanks! I thought places like Tulane and Williams were funded (often) so I was wondering if there were more like that. I feel like schools like to hide financial stuff on their websites or make it reallll vague.

It depends a lot on the school. It seems to me that you have a better chance of getting funded at a MA that is not attached to a PhD, such as Williams or Tulane, but even they don't fund all of their students. Just beware of schools that use their MA students to essentially pay for their PhD students.

You mean fully funding?

Delaware is good about that. UIUC makes offers to MA students for funding.

I get the impression that UNC doesn't typically fund their MA students, but they could depending on leftovers from continuing students.