History Admissions 2009

Cornell07

I just got into Harvard! Emailed by an advisor this morning. Full funding for five years, four years of guaranteed summer funding, the whole bit. My field is Russian history.

Congratulations slawkenbergius! Is that your first choice?

Congratulations again, slawkenbergius! And I wish you well with Princeton.

Looks like UIUC has made their decisions; I'm out. Fields were Global Histories and Colonial/Postcolonial. They weren't high on my list, but I'm really ready for some good news.

Last night I read Jorge Luis Borges' short story "The Lottery in Babylon." It felt strangely appropriate.

So I'm dying waiting, with one rejection down and two more notifications to go. I know that Rutgers has an online thingy where you can check application status, but I haven't been able to find such a thing for CUNY. I suspect that CUNY doesn't have one - but does anyone know for sure?

Hi, I'm new to this site. I've been catching up on the history board posts and it's nice to hear that I'm the only one fretting over the application process, though I'm sorry that we all have to agonize over it :wink:

I applied to Penn (one of my top choices). My status page changed this morning from listing all parts of my application to just stating "Submitted." Hopefully I'll hear something today.

Hi, I'm new to this site. I've been catching up on the history board posts and it's nice to hear that I'm the only one fretting over the application process, though I'm sorry that we all have to agonize over it :wink:

I applied to Penn (one of my top choices). My status page changed this morning from listing all parts of my application to just stating "Submitted." Hopefully I'll hear something today.

Nothing on my status page has changed despite the email notification.

I just got an email from the head of the Medieval Studies cluster at Northwestern saying that I've been awarded a fellowship in additional to full funding, etc. She said I should be receiving an official letter next week after the history department finishes its admissions decisions. I am beyond thrilled as this was by far my top choice!

Nothing changed in terms of the "status." That remained the same. For some reason, the sub-components are no longer listed. Oh well. If my application was rejected, I am prepared to hear that news. I would still like to know in either case.

edit: Congrats on your acceptance! I "literally" just put two and two together that you were the one who was accepted. Better go eat something...

I just got an email from the head of the Medieval Studies cluster at Northwestern saying that I've been awarded a fellowship in additional to full funding, etc. She said I should be receiving an official letter next week after the history department finishes its admissions decisions. I am beyond thrilled as this was by far my top choice!

Awesome, congrats! Northwestern is a great school.

I just got into Harvard! Emailed by an advisor this morning. Full funding for five years, four years of guaranteed summer funding, the whole bit. My field is Russian history.

Congratulations, that's great! ... Although I've now lost the only person I was going to know at Indiana (so far). :)

Congratulations! Are you coming in directly from undergraduate, or as an MA? I'm still waiting to hear back on my application to the same department.

Congratulations! Are you coming in directly from undergraduate, or as an MA? I'm still waiting to hear back on my application to the same department.

Thanks! I'm coming in straight from undergrad, so no idea whether that helped or not. Good luck - I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

I'll still visit, maybe I'll even go... I don't know if I can handle Ivy League snobbery for five years.

I certainly didn't enjoy it at Columbia. Of course there I received the deadly combination of New York City pretentiousness and Ivy League snobbery. Hence why I fled to California shortly after completing that degree. :)

Just got my rejection e-mail from Illinois (UIUC):

Dear Applicant:

The Department of History Admissions Committee has now met regarding applications to our graduate program. We received a near-record number of applications this year, and the quality of the applications was very strong, making it very difficult to select from among so many highly qualified applicants. We sincerely regret that we are unable to offer you admission. Please forgive the impersonality of this letter, but we wanted to convey our decision as speedily as possible. We thank you for your interest in the graduate program in history at Illinois.

Diane P. Koenker

Professor

Director of Graduate Studies

University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Kind of bummer, but oh well.