History Admissions 2009

Cornell07

Received a rejection from Cornell via mail.

A very nice letter saying I'd made it to the final stage of the review process, something about subfields, etc.

There are a lot of fascinating people at Cornell, but ultimately I don't think anyone whose interests were compatible with mine.

I live in New York, so I was probably among the first to get the mail from them.

Also got a rejection from Chicago's Committee on Social Thought. No surprise. Haven't heard anything from Chicago History though.

By the grace of some kind God I've already been accepted to a highly ranked, good-fit-for-me school, so anything else can only be a feather in my cap.

It looks like the Chicago letters are starting to radiate outwards from the city. Knowing my luck these past few days, I'll get a rejection letter from them in the middle of the day Monday, during a bloody Nor'easter which will leave me with nothing to do but ponder my failings. Or drink alone. I'm calling it now. :cry:

Seriously, though, if I'm hating on my New England winters so much, I wonder if Chicago is really the best place for me! :| Mostly, though, it's just been a lousy week compounded by impatience to know what I'll be doing in the fall. I've never been a neurotic person, but I swear Woody Allen has nothing on me now!

Congrats to the Michigan and Brown folks!!!

It looks like the Chicago letters are starting to radiate outwards from the city. Knowing my luck these past few days, I'll get a rejection letter from them in the middle of the day Monday, during a bloody Nor'easter which will leave me with nothing to do but ponder my failings. Or drink alone. I'm calling it now. :cry:

Seriously, though, if I'm hating on my New England winters so much, I wonder if Chicago is really the best place for me! :| Mostly, though, it's just been a lousy week compounded by impatience to know what I'll be doing in the fall. I've never been a neurotic person, but I swear Woody Allen has nothing on me now!

Congrats to the Michigan and Brown folks!!!

I'm kind of surprised other people got their UChicago letters before me, given that I live 20 minutes away from there.

I'm kind of surprised other people got their UChicago letters before me, given that I live 20 minutes away from there.

I remember you mentioning that; I'm surprised you weren't one of the first to hear. Now that I reread my post, I think I just had my cranky pants on, and have now returned to a state of mild apprehension versus full-out angst. I'm rooting for you! :D Silly to think that mail doesn't come on Sundays... doesn't the USPS realize the stress of radio silence on potential grad students?

I remember you mentioning that; I'm surprised you weren't one of the first to hear. Now that I reread my post, I think I just had my cranky pants on, and have now returned to a state of mild apprehension versus full-out angst. I'm rooting for you! :D Silly to think that mail doesn't come on Sundays... doesn't the USPS realize the stress of radio silence on potential grad students?

What inconsiderate bastards civil servants are.

Maybe the delay means I'm admitted. :roll:

rebeccafav said:
So there have been rumors that Columbia and Cornell have made their decisions, and a couple of people have posted that they got into one or the other, but not that many and there hasn't been the usual mass posting of rejections. Does anyone know if Cornell and Columbia have finished making their decisions and notified all their acceptances? If not, does anyone know when they will be doing so? How about WashU or the University of Toronto? I know it's still early, but I'm getting impatient. I work full time, and I'm going to have to start asking for days off to visit schools.

Toronto is apparently meeting next week to make their decisions.

Toronto is apparently meeting next week to make their decisions.

I've been talking to Columbia for the last few days. It seems like they had 500+ applicants and cut their incoming class down to 20 people. They also have a waitlist this year - the first time they are using one. Apparently there are six people on the waitlist. As far as I can tell, all the decisions have been taken (and probably sent out by this point). Their accepted students days are the 8th and 9th of March - that leads me to expect that the decisions have been made. The long and short of it seems to be that Columbia is deathly afraid of over-enrollment this year - and has cut spots pretty severely. Fun times!

The upside seems to be that Columbia is only accepting people when it can give them full funding.

What inconsiderate bastards civil servants are.

Maybe the delay means I'm admitted. :roll:

I still haven't heard from Indiana or UC Davis, both of which started notifying people weeks ago. I'm choosing to be positive and interpret this to mean that I'm on a waitlist. (I at least know that I haven't been rejected yet by UCD.) If someone has info to burst my bubble, though, please do share--at least I'm in somewhere now, and should be better prepared to handle another rejection or three.

:)

I still haven't heard from Indiana or UC Davis, both of which started notifying people weeks ago. I'm choosing to be positive and interpret this to mean that I'm on a waitlist. (I at least know that I haven't been rejected yet by UCD.) If someone has info to burst my bubble, though, please do share--at least I'm in somewhere now, and should be better prepared to handle another rejection or three.

:)

i also didn't hear from indiana yet. the people that heard from them, heard weeks ago too. the waiting game continues...

I've been talking to Columbia for the last few days. It seems like they had 500+ applicants and cut their incoming class down to 20 people. They also have a waitlist this year - the first time they are using one. Apparently there are six people on the waitlist. As far as I can tell, all the decisions have been taken (and probably sent out by this point). Their accepted students days are the 8th and 9th of March - that leads me to expect that the decisions have been made. The long and short of it seems to be that Columbia is deathly afraid of over-enrollment this year - and has cut spots pretty severely. Fun times!

The upside seems to be that Columbia is only accepting people when it can give them full funding.

Thanks for the info. I had expected as much. I guess they're just taking their time getting the rejection letters sent out.

I saw one person way back who said that they got accepted into USC for British history--congratulations!--Has anyone else heard anything from USC? I remember seeing at least one of you who was also waiting a few pages ago.

I saw one person way back who said that they got accepted into USC for British history--congratulations!--Has anyone else heard anything from USC? I remember seeing at least one of you who was also waiting a few pages ago.

Still waiting on USC and I haven't had news from them since the email confirming my username and password to the website. I had hoped we'd hear from them early, since they've had our apps since Dec. 1. Congrats to the person who's heard and good luck to the rest of us!

I'm waiting on USC, American History. USC has been lower on my list since the beginning, but I'm still a bit anxious waiting for a definitive answer, and having more than one offer and an offer with guaranteed funding would be nice. It's also one of two privates I haven't heard from (not counting Columbia, where I'm almost certainly rejected), and the only California school I have left to hear from. I have to admit, though, that I would have a hard time choosing USC and most of the other places I have left over UCLA, my one acceptance so far. Funding is the problem. Sigh.

Speaking of schools which have been awfully quiet, has anyone heard anything from Maryland - College Park?

I'm waiting on USC, American History. USC has been lower on my list since the beginning, but I'm still a bit anxious waiting for a definitive answer, and having more than one offer and an offer with guaranteed funding would be nice. It's also one of two privates I haven't heard from (not counting Columbia, where I'm almost certainly rejected), and the only California school I have left to hear from. I have to admit, though, that I would have a hard time choosing USC and most of the other places I have left over UCLA, my one acceptance so far. Funding is the problem. Sigh.

Speaking of schools which have been awfully quiet, has anyone heard anything from Maryland - College Park?

Nothing here, and I haven't noticed any posts on the results page. I assumed they would notify late, and I have to wonder what their funding situation is...

Anyone else heading to the Davis recruitment weekend March 14-15?

I certainly would if they would admit me. :D I am headed to Indiana later this week though. And even looking at houses with a realtor while I'm there in case that turns out to be the place.

anyone else still waiting on cornell? one person posted an admit, and everyone else has been rejected. i hope that they're still planning on sending out some good news along with the bad. is it realistic to think that they're taking so few people this year that only one person who was admitted would post it here?

I'm another waiting for USC. According to the results page they have always notified the admits by email and sent rejections via postal service but then they also usually notify by early February and here we are in March. After seeing the one admit I assumed that my rejection was in the mail. I hadn't realized so many people were still waiting to hear. Good luck to everyone and congrats to those who have already received good news.

anyone else still waiting on cornell? one person posted an admit, and everyone else has been rejected. i hope that they're still planning on sending out some good news along with the bad. is it realistic to think that they're taking so few people this year that only one person who was admitted would post it here?

I think my letter said they were taking something like 12 or 13 people

I'm still waiting to hear from Cornell Medieval Studies. No reply to my e-mail but they've had my application since December 12. Cornell is my top choice/perfect fit so it's the one I'm most anxious about. According to the results here the three (!) acceptances all got a phone call, so now I'm obsessively checking my mobile along with my e-mail and the post box...argh...!