History Admissions 2009

Cornell07

I grew up in Milwaukee, but the closest I've been to Indiana is Chicago. I'm looking forward to visiting--I imagine it'll be a huge culture shock after having lived in New York City for the last four years. Probably going the first or second week of March too. What's your field, if you don't mind me asking? I'm studying the Enlightenment in eighteenth-century Russia, so I'm excited about the Center for 18th Century Studies that they have there.

I hear you on the NYC -> Bloomington transition. I actually lived in NYC for 4 years after undergrad, and have lived in LA for the last 5, so we will be in similar positions, but if you have to be in Indiana, Bloomington is as good as it gets, which is probably understating how livable it really is (and the cost of living is super low). My primary interest, at it's most concentrated, is the interplay between religion and political centralization in Reformation-era France, but for my secondary field, I'm heavily leaning toward late Imperial Russia.

Me too...

Also, I must say that this site is amazing...I just joined recently, but it's really nice to know that I'm not the only neurotic headcase in the world right now... :wink:

Welcome home.

It's tough being totally anxious and frustrated about something of which the majority of people you interact with on a daily basis have absolutely no understanding.

I hear you on the NYC -> Bloomington transition. I actually lived in NYC for 4 years after undergrad, and have lived in LA for the last 5, so we will be in similar positions, but if you have to be in Indiana, Bloomington is as good as it gets, which is probably understating how livable it really is (and the cost of living is super low). My primary interest, at it's most concentrated, is the interplay between religion and political centralization in Reformation-era France, but for my secondary field, I'm heavily leaning toward late Imperial Russia.

Indiana is really strong for Russian history, and I'm sure you know that. Man I wish I had learned that language in college.

No joke! Congrats! I hope you folks are turning down admits to programs where I applied. :D

Yeah, Yale would probably have recycled my application by printing office memos on the reverse side, and thus I didn't even consider applying, so I would benefit from some trickle-down admissions as well. Please. Thanks. :wink:

Ps. First dibs goes to Misterpat, however.

I'm currently having a serious freak out session because people are being admitted to OSU today and I haven't heard anything!!! I'm giving myself until Tuesday before I give up and realize that I've been rejected! I love thegradcafe but at the same time, I think it's making me crazier!

I'm currently having a serious freak out session because people are being admitted to OSU today and I haven't heard anything!!! I'm giving myself until Tuesday before I give up and realize that I've been rejected! I love thegradcafe but at the same time, I think it's making me crazier!

I believe, contradictorily, that it has made me both saner and crazier during this process, just in different respects. I enjoy the comraderie, but I probably obsess far more than I would otherwise. As to Part 1 of your post, Tuesday would be insufficient. I was researching Indiana admits from years past, and I think I remember seeing that people were still admitted with full funding as late as mid-March, which would mean that wait list opportunities are quite real and not hearing anything first thing doesn't seal your doom.

I believe, contradictorily, that it has made me both saner and crazier during this process, just in different respects. I enjoy the comraderie, but I probably obsess far more than I would otherwise. As to Part 1 of your post, Tuesday would be insufficient. I was researching Indiana admits from years past, and I think I remember seeing that people were still admitted with full funding as late as mid-March, which would mean that wait list opportunities are quite real and not hearing anything first thing doesn't seal your doom.

I hope you're right. I saw on here that one person was admitted in late March, but most were early Feb. So, although I may not be doomed, it just means more waiting and not knowing. I do agree with you about the camaraderie though. It is nice to know that others are going through the same thing as you.

I'm also not sure whether this is keeping me sane or making me crazier.

To add some fuel to whichever of those fires my fellow UNC-Chapel Hill applicants are burning: I received an email today from a professor I had contacted there. From her message it seems like they are still at the very early stages of the decision-making process. So, I think that the date of the results posted from previous years may be a good guide for the timeframe to expect again this year.

Congrats to everyone who's already been accepted to other programs. I can only imagine the sweet relief!

See guys, you should not naysay my unsubstantiated rumors.

Props for the good information. However, hearing that people are being notified by a program I applied to has increased my anxiety to the 10th power. As we speak, the historians at Yale are probably making a nice bonfire with the remnants of my application.

Riss287, I totally agree- this website is both the bane of my existence, and a blessing. Such is life. Before you write off OSU, consider this: I was emailed specifically by the department of Russian, Eastern European & Eurasian Studies before my official notification. Part of their reason was to find out my availability in March to reschedule their "visitation" day, because two faculty members in the department are unavailable on the official history admit day (April 3rd). So, as long as you weren't applying to the same department, don't panic by Tuesday.

Riss287, I totally agree- this website is both the bane of my existence, and a blessing. Such is life. Before you write off OSU, consider this: I was emailed specifically by the department of Russian, Eastern European & Eurasian Studies before my official notification. Part of their reason was to find out my availability in March to reschedule their "visitation" day, because two faculty members in the department are unavailable on the official history admit day (April 3rd). So, as long as you weren't applying to the same department, don't panic by Tuesday.

My department is technically Women's History, so I'm sure you're right that I shouldn't panic. I've been on edge all day, but I'll try to calm down. I keep reminding myself that one friend got in to his grad school in May... not that I want that to happen to me, but at least I know the range for acceptances is broad. I've been stalking the results page and every time it comes up, I see that "full funding for 5 years" and go, "Man, so lucky!" Congratulations though, that is an awesome deal!! :)

Is it safe to say that your less likely to receive notification on a Saturday or Sunday (at least by email or phone)? I'd really like to get some work done without checking this site or my email every 10 minutes.

Congrats to the UCSD admit that just posted! What is your area of interest? Did they indicate funding decisions would be forthcoming? Obviously I'm not a candidate there any longer, but still curious - especially on the latter because I have applied to other UCs.

EDIT: *Smack* - just noticed you said there was no mention of funding.

Is it safe to say that your less likely to receive notification on a Saturday or Sunday (at least by email or phone)? I'd really like to get some work done without checking this site or my email every 10 minutes.

I believe Sat/Sun are generally rare. However, a person who posts here with the username "slothy" recently posted that his or her admit phone call from UNC Sociology came on a Sunday. So there are no universal rules.

http://forum.thegradcafe.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=14869&hilit=sunday

For any one applying (or accepted) to OSU: Has your application status changed? Mine has said evaluation since November! Shouldn't it say something else by now?

I've been accepted at OSU and my status page still says that my application is under academic review...I'm beginning to realize that these status pages really aren't that useful...I wouldn't worry about it too much

I've been accepted at OSU and my status page still says that my application is under academic review...I'm beginning to realize that these status pages really aren't that useful...I wouldn't worry about it too much

My OSU status page went from Evaluation to AcadRev. Even after I got the acceptance email from the professor, the status page didn't change- it still say AcadRev.

People who have found out by checking the website- how is this done? Where is the status page? All of my applications were through the applyyourself system...will it be obvious when a decision has been made or is there a specific link I should be checking?

Thanks