Public Policy Unfunded PHD or English Funded PHD???

switch

I have two offers from schools ranked about 50 and 75 in public policy PhD programs. Both of those offers are unfunded. I have become more and more interested in public policy issues, so I am drawn to these programs. But I recognize that unfunded doctoral students are exploited labor. It's not certain I would pick up funding even in my second or third years but I can try to get a part-time job.

I am also accepted to a school ranked about 60 in English PhDs programs. This offer is funded. I did a M.A. in English already and taught college composition for a few years. The funding is tuition reimbursement plus 17k annually probably for 4 years.

The problem is that I would really like to jump to a public policy PhD program, think that overall job market is stronger than English, but recognize that the funded offer is a strong signal to employers.

Which option is stronger? The stronger signal of a funded position in the weaker market--English--or the weaker signal of the unfunded offer in the stronger market--public policy??

I am still waiting to hear from a few more programs and am waitlisted at one, but this may be what I have to go with.

This question is sort of difficult, since you are comparing apples to oranges here...either you want to teach English when you complete a Phd, or you want to teach Public Policy after you complete your PhD. I am not quite sure funding has anything to do with this issue.

I have two offers from schools ranked about 50 and 75 in public policy PhD programs. Both of those offers are unfunded. I have become more and more interested in public policy issues, so I am drawn to these programs. But I recognize that unfunded doctoral students are exploited labor. It's not certain I would pick up funding even in my second or third years but I can try to get a part-time job.

I am also accepted to a school ranked about 60 in English PhDs programs. This offer is funded. I did a M.A. in English already and taught college composition for a few years. The funding is tuition reimbursement plus 17k annually probably for 4 years.

The problem is that I would really like to jump to a public policy PhD program, think that overall job market is stronger than English, but recognize that the funded offer is a strong signal to employers.

Which option is stronger? The stronger signal of a funded position in the weaker market--English--or the weaker signal of the unfunded offer in the stronger market--public policy??

I am still waiting to hear from a few more programs and am waitlisted at one, but this may be what I have to go with.

This question is sort of difficult, since you are comparing apples to oranges here...either you want to teach English when you complete a Phd, or you want to teach Public Policy after you complete your PhD. I am not quite sure funding has anything to do with this issue.

You know how some people cannot afford to buy a Mercedes so they buy a Ford instead? Think grad programs. Just because I want to drive a Mercedes doesn't mean I'm going to. It's this blindness to economic realities that makes me want to avoid English professors.

My question stands: which path is more likely to be survivable and intellectually fulfilling? As I said, I'd rather teach public policy, but if I wouldn't survive the PhD without funding then I'm better off staying in the English program than taking a job I like even less.

I do see where you are getting at, but I still am having trouble understanding what your goal is academic wise, perhaps others will chime in. It seems as though you are looking short-term. You are not sure you will be able to live as an English professor...yet you would choose to do the English PhD track because it is funded. But the thing is, if you do the English PhD track, you will only be qualified to teach English courses, not Public Policy.

I don't even understand how these came to be the possible options.

The funded English PhD seems like a badly paid job you don't really like. If you really want to do public policy, go for it and figure out the funding (or transfer out) later. Otherwise, apply to a job that pays more than 17K a year. Even if you don't come out with a degree at the end of six years, you'll have work experience and no additional debt and that's valuable too.

You know how some people cannot afford to buy a Mercedes so they buy a Ford instead? Think grad programs. Just because I want to drive a Mercedes doesn't mean I'm going to. It's this blindness to economic realities that makes me want to avoid English professors.

My question stands: which path is more likely to be survivable and intellectually fulfilling? As I said, I'd rather teach public policy, but if I wouldn't survive the PhD without funding then I'm better off staying in the English program than taking a job I like even less.

Like the other responses, I'm confused by the choice here. You got into these programs, so I'm not questioning your credentials, but these are two entirely different fields. It's not like a Mercedes and a Ford, it's like choosing between an automobile and, say, a boat. They're different vehicles for different purposes. At this point, you should know which field is more appealing to you; I agree with the above that the question of funding is separate. The question of which path is "more likely to be survivable and intellectually fulfilling" is entirely dependent on your passion and curiosity in each field.

Having said that, it sounds like you're much more invested in public policy than English, in which case it comes down to taking an unfunded PhD now or applying again, hoping for a funded offer. Personally, I would do the latter; it's almost never a good idea to do an unfunded PhD.

In financial terms the English PhD is more viable than Public Policy PhD. If you can't wait any longer chose the English PhD or reapply to Public Policy PhD's for the next application process maybe funding options might change when applying to a wide variety of programs. Best of luck!