GaTech vs UIUC vs Princeton ME PhD

panda123

Hey all,

I was wondering how the schools I mentioned can be ranked in terms of reputation and job placement (I'm leaning more towards academic jobs). I know GaTech is rather new to the top 10 list in engineering, and I haven't seen many profs in top schools with a degree from GaTech. I guess the reputation of advisor is also very important in finding an academic position; right? This factor is to a great extent independent of the school ranking. So, do you think a renowned advisor in Princeton is a better option to go for, or a young and not much known advisor in GaTech? I also mentioned UIUC here as I have some info about it and comparing others with it can specifically be helpful to me. Thanks.

Hey all,

I was wondering how the schools I mentioned can be ranked in terms of reputation and job placement (I'm leaning more towards academic jobs). I know GaTech is rather new to the top 10 list in engineering, and I haven't seen many profs in top schools with a degree from GaTech. I guess the reputation of advisor is also very important in finding an academic position; right? This factor is to a great extent independent of the school ranking. So, do you think a renowned advisor in Princeton is a better option to go for, or a young and not much known advisor in GaTech? I also mentioned UIUC here as I have some info about it and comparing others with it can specifically be helpful to me. Thanks.

You cant go wrong with any of these options. GeorgiaTech i believe is the highest ranked and closely followed by UIUC right after it. Princeton comes in a little later but is much more prestigious in terms of the overall brand name. Not sure what you mean by GeorgiaTech just recently being in the top-10. Its been there for quite some time now.

Overall, CHECK OUT each and every campus and see whered you would thrive more. Also, one of the other decisions that I took into consideration is how is the rankings of their other programs, such as business for instance. I want to be able to take entrepreneurship/business courses. Its much better to go to a school that offers a top-ranked program if you have slight interest in other departments, other wise not so much.