Waitlisted at top choice

renster

I was in a similar dilemma waitlisted at a top graduate program. I decided to no longer wait to make a decision. But it was slightly easier in my case, when I thought of it in simple terms: would getting accepted to this other program change my decision to attend this other top program? The answer was no so I withdrew my application from the waitlist in the program.

If I were you, I would wait until April 14 then if this other program has not replied simply call them and ask what is your standing in the waitlist. If you do not get a response make the right choice and accept the best offer at hand. Also, if the program you are waiting on does not offer full funding to everyone that is another thing to consider.

Best of luck!

Did the school you are wait-listed at tell you what number you are on their waiting-list or how many admittees would have to decline for them to start looking at the wait list? It may help you make your decision to wait/not wait. In my case, the school I was wait-listed at told me that 8 people, essentially, would have to decline their offers before they turned to the wait-list. Therefore, I didn't bother waiting until April since it would be highly unlikely that that number of admittees would decline. However, since April 15th is just around the corner, it definitely wouldn't hurt waiting for the final result. Good luck!

Edited by ZeeMore21

I was waitlisted at my top choice school and will not find out if they will accept me until after April 15th. However, I was accepted at four other great schools. Do I just treat my top choice as a dead option?

You should treat is as a dead option if they don't get back to you before April 15, and if the other offers expire on that date.

The school waitlisted you....I suggest going somewhere else because these other schools WANTED you. I was also waitlisted by my top choice school, and I rejected their waitlisting. I mean, if you didn't want me in the first place, why would I wait for you? That's just my two cents - better to go somewhere that accepted you right away and liked your application.

• 1 year later...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use