Asking about Department Fellowships after accepting Admission Offer

krisbee34

I got accepted into my program of choice (I only applied to 2) only a day after my interview, and got one of only a couple of spots in the program for this year, which is amazing. There was no mention of funding at the time, but the program apparently offers quite a few fellowships based on either need, merit or both, and I think that they offer the fellowships after they know who is accepting an offer of admission, but I am not 100% sure. I have already sent in my tuition deposit but recently I have been thinking way too much about everything, & that if I don't get any fellowships that I will probably not be able to afford to attend. This is the chance of a lifetime and I don't know if I will get it again. I would ask about deferring admission for a year because of financial hardship, but the website says that they don't defer for any reason with their graduate programs. Should I email the director of my program about my financial concerns and about whether or not I can expect any fellowships, and if so, how do I actually go about it?