CCA

Payne

As I read more about the MFA program, the more excited I feel about CCA. The faculty seems amazing. I'm excited to go to the Open Studios on the 10th to see what kind of work people are making. If only it wasn't so darn expensive, I would go there no question. Anyone considering CCA? Any thoughts/opinions on their program?

One thing I don't like is how tiny the grad studios are (as I remember from my tour there a couple of years ago).

Hi Payne! I'm still considering going. I'll be out there next week to visit. Can't make the open house due to visiting another school. I didn't get much in the way of funding so I'm not sure I can afford it. But I'm looking forward to my visit. And, yeah, it seems like such a cool program.

This may be too late, since today is the 15th and if you haven't decided to go there by now I'm fairly certain today was the last day to submit intent to enroll + deposit.

I decided I wanted to go to CCA last week, sent in all my stuff, and hopefully I made the right decision. The facilities were amazing, especially when compared to what I saw at SFAI (I didn't go to the grad studios there though). CCA seems to have a lot of things at our disposal that, I personally did not have attending my BFA program.

I went on tour there and I didn't think their grad studios as "tiny", but I've also been painting in my room for the past couple of months, next to my bed, so any space I can have to myself is larger than nothing.

Studio with stuff in it:

http://i.imgur.com/sK7mk.jpg

Blank Studio:

http://imgur.com/cvsCW

Did you go to the open studios on the 10th? Take any pictures?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Me! For painting and drawing. I didn't visit so it'll be a big surprise but I'm super excited.

Would you like me to post some pictures? I took a tour of it a couple months back - its really nice.

Also, glad someone finally posted on this! I'm not alone!! haha

Photos would be awesome. Which program are you doing? My main concern now is finding an apartment I can afford and getting my crap from New York to California. I posted back in March in another topic looking for classmates so its good to find someone :)

Photos would be awesome. Which program are you doing? My main concern now is finding an apartment I can afford and getting my crap from New York to California. I posted back in March in another topic looking for classmates so its good to find someone :)

Painting and Drawing as well. Here's a link to my album on FB -- too lazy to upload this whole thing to imgur.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1640596385016.2078772.1539990011&l=3bed3c99cf

I'm luckily living with my girlfriend for now, but her apartment is on the other side of town near USF / Panhandle. I'm also wondering how I'm gonna get crap from Texas to SF but I've gotten a lot of things there so far and plan to ship stuff later.

What I'm most worried about is, I won't have a car -- how am I supposed to get supplies (wood, etc) to and from the studios and where in town sells the supplies I need? I guess we'll just have to figure this stuff out as we go along.

Have you already signed up for your classes? My first choice was Intention Intervention with Chris Finley. I chose it because I talked to him for my interview and enjoy his work, and think the class will be extremely motivating and put a lot of pressure on creation of work along with heavy critiques. Second choice was Abundant Curiosities cause I found it to be the most enjoyable looking class out of the bunch.

Thanks for the fb album! I've been kind of spoiled this past year and have had a studio thats about ~430 square feet so I'll have to downsize a little (a lot). Also that machine room made me drool a little. Access to tooooooooollllsssss!!!!!!!!!

I hadn't even considered transporting stuff crosstown. Worst case scenario a bunch of people could do a bi-monthly U-Haul truck run and split the cost. I've been sort-of pointlessly combing apartment listings for the last few months. The USF area definitely looks more affordable, but we're still aiming to get a 2br near the school for $1800 or less. It's gonna be me, my friend, and her boyfriend plus 2 cats (who haven't met and might eat each other's faces off ) through January and then my boyfriend will move in also so hopefully things won't have to be too tiny to fit in our price range. Yay cramped spaces and housepet chaos!

I checked out your website - and I noticed you live(d) in Rockwall! I have family there! My uncle's family and my Grandma just moved from Ridge Rd. to Petaluma Dr. Not that I know anything about Rockwall other than those 2 streets, but whatever.

I haven't turned in my registration yet - I want to research the teachers a little more. I interviewed with Chris Finley and I thought he was rad, but the Failure class is really attractive to me. Its between Intention Intervention and Failure for my top 2. How many are we supposed to rank? Just 2? I wasn't sure and am trying to figure out what my #3 choice would be. I think I may go for the nomadic whatever philosophy class simply because it sounds like it'll be really hard and for the $30,000 in loans I have to take out, I want a challenge.

Painting and Drawing as well. Here's a link to my album on FB -- too lazy to upload this whole thing to imgur.

http://www.facebook....11&l=3bed3c99cf

I'm luckily living with my girlfriend for now, but her apartment is on the other side of town near USF / Panhandle. I'm also wondering how I'm gonna get crap from Texas to SF but I've gotten a lot of things there so far and plan to ship stuff later.

What I'm most worried about is, I won't have a car -- how am I supposed to get supplies (wood, etc) to and from the studios and where in town sells the supplies I need? I guess we'll just have to figure this stuff out as we go along.

Have you already signed up for your classes? My first choice was Intention Intervention with Chris Finley. I chose it because I talked to him for my interview and enjoy his work, and think the class will be extremely motivating and put a lot of pressure on creation of work along with heavy critiques. Second choice was Abundant Curiosities cause I found it to be the most enjoyable looking class out of the bunch.

Thanks for the fb album! I've been kind of spoiled this past year and have had a studio thats about ~430 square feet so I'll have to downsize a little (a lot). Also that machine room made me drool a little. Access to tooooooooollllsssss!!!!!!!!!

I hadn't even considered transporting stuff crosstown. Worst case scenario a bunch of people could do a bi-monthly U-Haul truck run and split the cost. I've been sort-of pointlessly combing apartment listings for the last few months. The USF area definitely looks more affordable, but we're still aiming to get a 2br near the school for $1800 or less. It's gonna be me, my friend, and her boyfriend plus 2 cats (who haven't met and might eat each other's faces off ) through January and then my boyfriend will move in also so hopefully things won't have to be too tiny to fit in our price range. Yay cramped spaces and housepet chaos!

I checked out your website - and I noticed you live(d) in Rockwall! I have family there! My uncle's family and my Grandma just moved from Ridge Rd. to Petaluma Dr. Not that I know anything about Rockwall other than those 2 streets, but whatever.

I haven't turned in my registration yet - I want to research the teachers a little more. I interviewed with Chris Finley and I thought he was rad, but the Failure class is really attractive to me. Its between Intention Intervention and Failure for my top 2. How many are we supposed to rank? Just 2? I wasn't sure and am trying to figure out what my #3 choice would be. I think I may go for the nomadic whatever philosophy class simply because it sounds like it'll be really hard and for the $30,000 in loans I have to take out, I want a challenge.

First, visited your website and your work is awesome. I've been working with rocks a lot recently. haha

That sucks you'll be downsizing. I'm upgrading by going here! Before my school didn't give undergraduates studios, and so I was working out of my room or in the shared large studio. I am definitely excited about all the tools at our disposal.

We just had to drive our bird from Texas to SF and it was crazy -- she made it alright (for now), hopefully your cats do the same! Goodluck in your apartment search. I looked (physically) at the places around the school and they all were very nice, no idea on the pricing though.

Yeah, I'm currently living in Rockwall, which I don't really enjoy doing, especially since before I was living in Denton which I like to think of as Dallas's own little Austin. Petaluma Dr. is much closer to my parents than ridge road by like 5 minutes. Small world!

I'm pretty sure we're supposed to rank 5. I can't remember. The sheet we're supposed to mail to them says (which is weird, that we have to mail them a sheet, when they have online registration for everyone else?)

Ahhhhhhh don't even talk to me about loans. I'm scared shitless, no idea how I'm going to pay them back. I think by the time I get my MFA I'll have close to 80k in loans, federal and private.

Glad I met someone else going to this school before it starts. At least I won't be completely wading in a sea of loneliness.