UC Budget Crisis - should it affect my decision?

acetylcoa

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anybody has insight on how the massive budget cuts ($500 million, possibly more) to the UC system could affect availability of TAships and other sources of funding in the UC system, specifically UCSB, over the next few years?

Although I am currently leaning towards UCSB with a TA-ship guaranteed in the first year (but no guarantee afterwards), I am really worried that I might not receive funding in the future. Texas A&M would basically give me a full ride (I got a competitive scholarship), but it is lesser ranked in my field. I really like Texas A&M but I am concerned that my job prospects would be fewer if I get my PhD there than UCSB.

Thanks for your feedback,

- Acetylcoa

As a current UC system MA grad student, I've seen my tuition go up 52% in the last few years, TAships and classes slashed, amenities like printing budgets, new library books, and ILL either cut or severely diminished. And we're not out of the woods yet. I actually declined a PhD offer from UCSB, with a 4 year central fellowship, partly because I'm just a little uneasy about what's in store for the UCs in the coming years. But I had a similarly funded offer from a similarly ranked program to accept. So short answer, yes it should affect your decision but don't let it be the only deciding factor. Job prospects are also very important.

As a current UC system MA grad student, I've seen my tuition go up 52% in the last few years, TAships and classes slashed, amenities like printing budgets, new library books, and ILL either cut or severely diminished. And we're not out of the woods yet. I actually declined a PhD offer from UCSB, with a 4 year central fellowship, partly because I'm just a little uneasy about what's in store for the UCs in the coming years. But I had a similarly funded offer from a similarly ranked program to accept. So short answer, yes it should affect your decision but don't let it be the only deciding factor. Job prospects are also very important.

Thanks so much for your thoughtful feedback, it was very useful!

As a current UC system MA grad student, I've seen my tuition go up 52% in the last few years, TAships and classes slashed, amenities like printing budgets, new library books, and ILL either cut or severely diminished.

What does ILL mean? unsure.gif

What is your field? I understand some fields were hit harder than others.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use