MGH

kroge23

I am really excited (and nervous) to move to Boston! I can't wait to get to know everyone who is attending. I see a lot of BU forums and such so I figured we may as well start one for MGH so we can talk about apartments and get to know each other.

• 1 year later...

Who here is taking summer prereq's at MGH? I am not, so I'll be fresh meat in September. I've started some planning, and noticed that the academic calendars for the next few years are posted on the MGH website. I was happy to see them so that I could give my family some idea of how often I'll be coming home for visits.

I'm thinking of renting a room somewhere off the Newburyport/Rockbury commuter train line, like in Chelsea, Lynn, Swampscott, or Salem. It looks like the rents in those areas are relatively reasonable and the train runs frequently, even on the weekends. I see that none of us here so far are from Boston... but does anyone have any insight as to good/bad areas to look for rooms/apartments?

• 2 weeks later...

A few more things that are on my mind as I make plans:

1. Do we need to get CPR certified before school starts, or will they offer us a chance to take care of that when the need arises?

2. What time do classes/in-house clinics usually start during the week?

3. What time do classes/in-house clinics usually end?

4. Does the school have lockers? (If not, I may need to invest in one of those roller crates for carrying books between home and school)

4. I received an email to notify me that my deposit was received and more info would be forthcoming. When will I get more info? (i.e., at what point should I call the Department if I haven't received more info?)

I hope everyone is doing well :)

I'm thinking of renting a room somewhere off the Newburyport/Rockbury commuter train line, like in Chelsea, Lynn, Swampscott, or Salem.

1. Do we need to get CPR certified before school starts, or will they offer us a chance to take care of that when the need arises?

2. What time do classes/in-house clinics usually start during the week?

3. What time do classes/in-house clinics usually end?

4. Does the school have lockers? (If not, I may need to invest in one of those roller crates for carrying books between home and school)

4. I received an email to notify me that my deposit was received and more info would be forthcoming. When will I get more info? (i.e., at what point should I call the Department if I haven't received more info?)

I hope everyone is doing well :)

Anything farther than Chelsea is too far out. Really, that commute will kill you, whether or not you have a car. You will hate it. If cost of rent is the issue, find a classmate to room with. You will be much happier. Check out Somerville. Aim for a place that has direct T access, not bus or commuter rail.

1. There will be a CPR class offered by the school, but it doesn't hurt to get it out of the way before school starts when you have some free time (just make sure it's the class that's for people in the medical setting.

2. This varies depending on when your own clinic sessions are (luck of the draw). You'll have 4 sessions per week, and they can be any day of the week between 9am and 5pm. Classes can start as early as 8:30am.

3. If you have a 4pm clinic session (the last slot) you'll probably get out at about 5:30pm, after clean-up and a chat with your supervisor. Classes vary. There are some evening classes that end at 8:30pm.

4. First year students can get lockers. You share them with a buddy.

5. More info about tuition? They don't tell you much. You can call if you want.

Edited by tayfray

Anything farther than Chelsea is too far out. Really, that commute will kill you, whether or not you have a car. You will hate it. If cost of rent is the issue, find a classmate to room with. You will be much happier. Check out Somerville. Aim for a place that has direct T access, not bus or commuter rail.

1. There will be a CPR class offered by the school, but it doesn't hurt to get it out of the way before school starts when you have some free time (just make sure it's the class that's for people in the medical setting.

2. This varies depending on when your own clinic sessions are (luck of the draw). You'll have 4 sessions per week, and they can be any day of the week between 9am and 5pm. Classes can start as early as 8:30am.

3. If you have a 4pm clinic session (the last slot) you'll probably get out at about 5:30pm, after clean-up and a chat with your supervisor. Classes vary. There are some evening classes that end at 8:30pm.

4. First year students can get lockers. You share them with a buddy.

5. More info about tuition? They don't tell you much. You can call if you want.

Just wanted to thank you for your response. My "when will we receive more info" question was in regards to general info about when classes start, and what incoming students need to do to prepare. Where I come from (state school), info is hard to come by, and if you snooze you lose. I received more info from MGH yesterday and today, so I'm good now.

Again, thanks for taking the time to respond. I hope you have a great day!

Just wanted to thank you for your response. My "when will we receive more info" question was in regards to general info about when classes start, and what incoming students need to do to prepare. Where I come from (state school), info is hard to come by, and if you snooze you lose. I received more info from MGH yesterday and today, so I'm good now.

Again, thanks for taking the time to respond. I hope you have a great day!

Don't worry! They won't let you miss anything! You're going to get really impatient waiting for all the info to come in (everyone does) because they send a lot of stuff later in the summer, but I promise everything will be fine. :)

Don't worry! They won't let you miss anything! You're going to get really impatient waiting for all the info to come in (everyone does) because they send a lot of stuff later in the summer, but I promise everything will be fine. :)

Thanks for sharing your time :)

Edited by jkathleen