Transferring SEVIS

I am currently on an F1 visa for my undergrad in the US. Can anyone tell me what exactly the procedure for transferring the SEVIS/getting a new I20 for my PhD is? I got some SEVIS transfer forms from a couple of unis that accepted me, but none from my school of choice... and I didn't understand what I have to do anyway (haven't accepted the offer yet though)

...ask the international student office at your school of choice? there will be a transfer-out form from your undergrad and transfer--in form from your phd school.

I actually just did this today. I received a packet from Rutgers (where I will be going in the fall) that included an "F-1 student adviser report" (or something like that). The international office at your current school has to fill it out and send it to the new school's international office. By doing this your current school releases you and your records to your new school. As soon as your new school gets that form they can send you your new I-20. It's a pretty simple process.

One thing to keep in mind is that you may not want to be in between I-20s if you plan on traveling outside of the country. Your current international office should be able to help you find a good release date, though.

I am currently on an F1 visa for my undergrad in the US. Can anyone tell me what exactly the procedure for transferring the SEVIS/getting a new I20 for my PhD is? I got some SEVIS transfer forms from a couple of unis that accepted me, but none from my school of choice... and I didn't understand what I have to do anyway (haven't accepted the offer yet though)

• 4 weeks later...

I did it too. Now, my only confusion is whether or not I need to reapply for a visa in this case? I do, right? My visa expires this May...

You do not have to go to consulate in india just to renew visa. You need to renew ur visa only when u want to go to india and come back into usa. Eg: ur visa expires in may 2011, u can continue being in usa , say u want to go to india in dec 2011 only then u shud go to consulate to renew it.

• 2 weeks later...

You do not have to go to consulate in india just to renew visa. You need to renew ur visa only when u want to go to india and come back into usa. Eg: ur visa expires in may 2011, u can continue being in usa , say u want to go to india in dec 2011 only then u shud go to consulate to renew it.

All's good except that I'm not from India :)

just FYI, there's no such thing as visa renewal. you need to reapply if you visa has expired or is about to expire.