UCLA EE vs UCSD ECE (Ph.D - Both Funded)

prophet412

I was accepted to both UCSD ECE and UCLA EE departments in their Ph.D programs in the field of analog & mixed signal circuits.

• The thing is that I have a fellowship offer from UCSD which sort of gives me the freedom to choose an advisor later, while I'm on GSR support in UCLA.
  • Both departments have really good faculty, though UCLA is better in my opinion.
  • The professors who showed interest in me from UCLA and UCSD are equally good.
  • LA is more expensive than San Diego, especially given the location of UCLA.

Which one should I choose? Anything that I may be overlooking? General thoughts on these two schools?

Edited by prophet412

This is a tough choice... I'm in analog circuits too and I'd hate to make this decision.

I think for me it would come down to which of the faculty had the most interesting research to me. I'd agree UCLA has a slight leg up reputation wise in analog circuits, but both are very strong programs and I don't really think there is a significant difference in reputation.

If you're going to be working with Razavi, I'd go to UCLA.

Edited by was1984

This is a tough choice... I'm in analog circuits too and I'd hate to make this decision.

I think for me it would come down to which of the faculty had the most interesting research to me. I'd agree UCLA has a slight leg up reputation wise in analog circuits, but both are very strong programs and I don't really think there is a significant difference in reputation.

If you're going to be working with Razavi, I'd go to UCLA.

If it was Razavi or Abidi, I guess the choice would have been obvious. Anyway, thanks for your views. I'm still to be rid of this dilemma but I'm leaning towards UCLA now.

Hi,

I think UCLA is much better compare to UCSD, both in ranking and in research.

-Mj

If it was Razavi or Abidi, I guess the choice would have been obvious. Anyway, thanks for your views. I'm still to be rid of this dilemma but I'm leaning towards UCLA now.