Decision - GW Elliott vs Hopkins SAIS

I was given comparable amounts of aid from both (Georgetown SSP didn't give me any funding so they're out of the running), but Elliott's tuition is 12k cheaper per year than SAIS.

My financial situation is that I'm a current undergraduate student who has been working year-round since high school to pay for college tuition. I still had to take loans, so I have zero savings and am already in debt. I will have to take on more loans no matter what I choose, but Elliott's will be substantially less. Elliott also makes it much easier for students to take on jobs while they're studying--everyone that I spoke to at SAIS said that working any more than 10 hours of work per week was deadly.

Still, SAIS will pay off dividends in the long run thanks to their name and network. I believe that I will get a much better education and employment prospects at SAIS (though I'm also worried about burning out there...)

At Elliott I will be doing the International Affairs and Development program, concentrating in Natural Resources and the Environment. At SAIS I applied for Energy Resources and the Environment, but will probably switch to Latin American studies thanks to their fantastic internship program.

What do you guys think? I am strongly leaning toward SAIS, but I'm seriously worried about money. Your input is much appreciated :)

I was given comparable amounts of aid from both (Georgetown SSP didn't give me any funding so they're out of the running), but Elliott's tuition is 12k cheaper per year than SAIS.

My financial situation is that I'm a current undergraduate student who has been working year-round since high school to pay for college tuition. I still had to take loans, so I have zero savings and am already in debt. I will have to take on more loans no matter what I choose, but Elliott's will be substantially less. Elliott also makes it much easier for students to take on jobs while they're studying--everyone that I spoke to at SAIS said that working any more than 10 hours of work per week was deadly.

Still, SAIS will pay off dividends in the long run thanks to their name and network. I believe that I will get a much better education and employment prospects at SAIS (though I'm also worried about burning out there...)

At Elliott I will be doing the International Affairs and Development program, concentrating in Natural Resources and the Environment. At SAIS I applied for Energy Resources and the Environment, but will probably switch to Latin American studies thanks to their fantastic internship program.

What do you guys think? I am strongly leaning toward SAIS, but I'm seriously worried about money. Your input is much appreciated :)

I understand leaning towards SAIS. It is a great school. But a debt of more than 125K is a VERY heavy burden. Also, I don't know how much of a difference SAIS' network will really make in the long run. Immediately after graduation it will be very helpful, but the salary of SAIS' graduates in the private sector is around 60k/year (Which is not that different from the salary of GW's graduates in the private sector). Whether paying SAIS' higher cost is worth it or not, will depend on the job you want to get after graduating. It will only make a big difference, in my opinion, if you're aiming to get a job at the IMF, the WB, a DC think tank, some finance related job or if you want to work in an oil company. Also, for three of those places (IMF, WB, think tanks) you will need a PhD for the really nice jobs. So, that should be your aim. Everywhere else, I think the difference will be marginal. Finally, if you do want one of those kind of jobs (where SAIS does make a difference) I would say, do some numbers. SAIS will probably give you a better education than GW. But is it worth 125K in debt? And if you think it is worth 125K in debt... can you realistically pay that debt after graduating without severely diminishing your quality of life? You say that you're already in debt. If you don't have a fellowship from SAIS (you don't mention if you do), the debt will amount to about 125K + your current debt. Will that be manageable with the kind of job you want to do? If you want to go into public service for example, I think it is unmanageable.

Edited by JAC16

This would be a tough decision. SAIS is considered a stronger program in many areas, specifically some quant areas, and can help you get into some of the elite organizations in the world, World Bank, IMF etc. Since I don't have the details regarding the numbers your are talking about regarding your current and prospective debt levels, all I will say is be very very wary of heavy debt in this field. The cash these degrees earn you will usually not make up for the lack of freedom and the overall debt burden.

I also want to agree with the previous poster and comment in contrary to what some students who are coming out of undergrad seem to think about some programs "paying dividends in the long run". The opposite of this is true. Your school will help you with your first job, and may or may not be a big help for about one year. After that, your alma mater is the least considered out of many factors the top being accomplishments in your field, work experience, and skill set. the usefulness of your schools brand name is usually well worn off before you have it paid off.

In the end do what you feel is right for yourself but be wary of the weight this debt will be on you, and the next decade of your life. Run some numbers, look at what your expected monthly payment is going to be against what you expect to make in income. This can be a frightening but eye opening exercise. Best of luck!

Thanks guys! I would have to find some way to pay/take on 50k in debt for SAIS, versus 25k at Elliott. I thought about deferring for a year but I don't have a job lined up and I'm not sure how much of a dent it would make anyway.

Is it really that much of a myth? It's been propagated a lot on these forums and at the grad schools themselves (that's not exactly surprising though...)

I think the focuses of two schools are quite different. Elliott's IDS program is designed to train future's development practitioners who will mostly work in mid level development contractors. The curriculum and substance of the classes are therefore not as demanding as those of SAIS. However, as said before, within two years of graduation, the effect of the name of your degree will be marginal.

I just chose GW over SAIS, both for the debt reasons and due to the evening classes (and therefore work opportunities) at GW. Even though I would have loved to go to SAIS due to the brand recognition, I think that is more about ego than the belief that SAIS would really teach me more than GW. I am really excited about my program at Elliott, where I think I will be able to focus on quant/econ at least as much as I could have at SAIS. I also agree that as long as your degree qualifies you for the jobs you are interested in, the work experience/internships you have will probably mean more than the school you attended. I have spoken with several students in my program at GW, and they said that almost all of them are working 20+ hours in jobs or internships.

I just chose GW over SAIS, both for the debt reasons and due to the evening classes (and therefore work opportunities) at GW. Even though I would have loved to go to SAIS due to the brand recognition, I think that is more about ego than the belief that SAIS would really teach me more than GW. I am really excited about my program at Elliott, where I think I will be able to focus on quant/econ at least as much as I could have at SAIS. I also agree that as long as your degree qualifies you for the jobs you are interested in, the work experience/internships you have will probably mean more than the school you attended. I have spoken with several students in my program at GW, and they said that almost all of them are working 20+ hours in jobs or internships.

Good to know I'm not the only one in this position--it seemed like everyone who got accepted to SAIS was deciding between the other "top tiers" with Georgetown, HKS, and Fletcher.

There are a couple specific reasons that I want to go to SAIS, and one of them is the Latin American Studies internship program, which helps to set you up with an internship on the topic and region of your choice over the summer, with a stipend. That's an experience that I don't think could be replicated at GW.

Good to know I'm not the only one in this position--it seemed like everyone who got accepted to SAIS was deciding between the other "top tiers" with Georgetown, HKS, and Fletcher.

There are a couple specific reasons that I want to go to SAIS, and one of them is the Latin American Studies internship program, which helps to set you up with an internship on the topic and region of your choice over the summer, with a stipend. That's an experience that I don't think could be replicated at GW.

That does sound like an excellent opportunity. I think it would be worth asking GW if they have anything like that, or asking them for contact info for current students in Latin American Studies to talk about internships. I found that the program staff and students have been very helpful if you have specific questions or concerns. You might as well get all the info you can.

• 4 years later...

Maybe not relevant anymore as original post was 4 years ago, but maybe helpful for future readers:

Sorry, have to disagree. You will have that name and brand recognition the rest of your life and every time someone reads your resume they will see Johns Hopkins as opposed to GW. I have worked as an International Professional Recruiter and Internal HR for a University for the past 3 years, and trust me, the "brand name" never dies or wears off for the rest of your career/life, especially on the international level of employment where many more people have heard of the prestigious name of JH vs. GW.

I'm gonna be blunt here. Go to SAIS. The fact that you're unsure is a little insane right now.

I know GWU is technically ranked in the top 10 and is also in DC but between the two the difference is exponential. Going to GWU means gambling that you are going ti be at the very top of your class or by pure luck bump into the right person at some bar and get hooked up. SAIS on the other hand has consistently high and impressive employment statistics.

I'm not saying this to dump on GWU, I'm saying this to say GO TO SAIS. $24k is nothing in the larger scheme considering 1. Your debt will still be large and 2. You are paying for your future career which will almost certainly take off quicker and stronger from SAIS.

I'm not talking about prestige or circles, I'm talking hard employment facts and figures.

Edited by graddypaddy