UPenn vs GWU

matt b

Actually I applied to both places for comparative politics with a middle eastern focus and I wasn't accepted at either of them. Of course, GW has the advantage of the location being in DC especially if you want to do government work. UPenn seems like a really awesome school and Philadelphia looks like a great city. If you are thinking of being an academic, I would say UPenn. Part of the problem with DC schools is that the professors often have a lot of other stuff going on like councils and think tanks and whatnot. You really can't go wrong either way. From what I have heard, Penn seems like a great place for political science and the grad students there seem happy. Good luck making your decision.

I don't know a lot about this, but I agree with Wannabe. Not only does DC have the location advantage, but GWU is also part of a consortium of DC schools, so that if Georgetown for example has a great class that you want to take, you can do that while you're a student at Gtown. I would also add that while DC schools do have a lot of adjunct faculty (especially teaching MA classes), full-time people do have time for students and generally don't also work for government or anything like that.