18K In Chicago?

Guest Moniqua

Guest Moniqua

Can I survive in Chicago on $18,000? (taxable, of course).

There could be a $3,000 summer stipend for language courses as well, which I plan to accept.

Can I survive in Chicago on $18,000? (taxable, of course).

There could be a $3,000 summer stipend for language courses as well, which I plan to accept.

It can be done, but it will be pretty tight. :) Rents vary based on the neighborhoods you live in. Some of the schools have a fair selection of grad apartments, and as long as you find a place for less than $700, you should be ok. Try to find a place that has heat and water included. That will help significantly.

If you use public transportation and buy a monthly pass, that should run you about $900 a year.

Electric bills average about $400 a year for a small apartment.

Food costs for one person in Chicago are about $3500 per year minimum (not including restaurants).

Basic phone service would run you about $600 per year.

And if you found a place for around $700 per month, your rent would be $8400. Almost all places require first month and security deposit.

Sooo.. that would be roughly $14000 for the absolute basics in Chicago.

Hope that helps. :)

Guest Moniqua

Thank you, Basille! I have to choose between that and $20,000 in NYC. Great! I have to make sure I don't starve!! How on earth am I supposed to buy my own books? Sighing. Why can't these people offer an extra $4k or so? It would solve so many problems! Is it that the universities really can't afford it?

Thank you, Basille! I have to choose between that and $20,000 in NYC. Great! I have to make sure I don't starve!! How on earth am I supposed to buy my own books? Sighing. Why can't these people offer an extra $4k or so? It would solve so many problems! Is it that the universities really can't afford it?

Oh, don't I know. :)

Having spent some time on the East Coast, I can say that $18K in Chicago will stretch much further than $20K in NYC.

Good luck!