LSE MSc Economics & Philosophy ----> PhD in Economics?

3yellowroses

Does anybody have some information regarding the placement of the Msc in Economics and Philosophy at London School of Economics? I was accepted today; I'm very interested in acquiring some formation in Philosophy but at the same time I do intend to pursue a PhD in Economics later.

At LSE's webpage only one of eight stories of past students mention a PhD in Economics, and actually, he says, " It wasn't straight-forward to enter an economics PhD program after this degree, but I managed to".

My interests cover Labor Economics, some Development, I'd like to study some Behavioral too, but recently I have read interesting stuff regarding the links between Econ & Philosophy. I worked as a research assistant in a joint project with philosophers at my university, regarding justice theories and the like. I'm interested in philosophical insights on growth, income distribution, hapiness and labor, etc.

But I know LSE is HIGHLY competitive!

It was a far fetched shot at LSE's Econ & Philosophy program, all my other applications aimed directly at Economics: I was also accepted at American University, and Barcelona GSE (for the MSc). I'm on the waitlist for Tilburg's Research Master and Cambridge's Research MPhil. I'm still waiting for the results at Paris School of Economics (next week!).

If I go to Barcelona I know I don't have a problem getting to the PhD there, or at other European place I guess. If I'm accepted at PSE the same.

I only got a partial tuition waiver at Barcelona, and although funding is some sort of a problem, it doesn't prevent me from attending any of these places.

Any information, opinions, or ideas, are welcome.

If you're interested in pursuing just Economics and not Philosophy of Economics or the Social sciences, I don't know if the Econ and Philosophy msc is the best way to go. maybe look at tilburg or cambridge. I applied at the same masters program at LSE including the msc philosophy of the social sciences, but my own interests lie on the philosophical side and my main issue was funding. There is one guy who went on the social and decision sciences phd at CMU from the msc at LSE. I think economics grad admissions committee like to see a lot of math and I don't know if you'll get that pursuing the economics and philosophy masters. My understanding is you can just do 2 courses from economics and 2 from Philosophy in the MSC at LSE. So you would have to pick between micro, macro and econometrics. It is just a year though, and if you're getting funding for it, it might be a stepping stone. But if I was you and wanted to do a phd in Economics, I'd go for a straight up economics masters. This reminds me of a conversation I had with a law and econ professor . He said to think of an Economics phd as acquiring the tools and techniques needed to do economic research and analysis. After the first 2 years of coursework, you can do whatever you want. So what I would say is this. If you're interested in questions of social justice and the like, you can always pursue those after acquiring the tools economics provides at a straight up economics dept. hope this helps. Good luck to you :)

Does anybody have some information regarding the placement of the Msc in Economics and Philosophy at London School of Economics? I was accepted today; I'm very interested in acquiring some formation in Philosophy but at the same time I do intend to pursue a PhD in Economics later.

At LSE's webpage only one of eight stories of past students mention a PhD in Economics, and actually, he says, " It wasn't straight-forward to enter an economics PhD program after this degree, but I managed to".

My interests cover Labor Economics, some Development, I'd like to study some Behavioral too, but recently I have read interesting stuff regarding the links between Econ & Philosophy. I worked as a research assistant in a joint project with philosophers at my university, regarding justice theories and the like. I'm interested in philosophical insights on growth, income distribution, hapiness and labor, etc.

But I know LSE is HIGHLY competitive!

It was a far fetched shot at LSE's Econ & Philosophy program, all my other applications aimed directly at Economics: I was also accepted at American University, and Barcelona GSE (for the MSc). I'm on the waitlist for Tilburg's Research Master and Cambridge's Research MPhil. I'm still waiting for the results at Paris School of Economics (next week!).

If I go to Barcelona I know I don't have a problem getting to the PhD there, or at other European place I guess. If I'm accepted at PSE the same.

I only got a partial tuition waiver at Barcelona, and although funding is some sort of a problem, it doesn't prevent me from attending any of these places.

Any information, opinions, or ideas, are welcome.